Recipe suggestions AKA Help me use up some grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rokcrawlr

Reaction score
I am going to brew this weekend and would like suggestions. I brew all grain 5 gallon batches. This is the grain and hops I have on hand now. ****mods if this is the wrong place, move or delete, thanks***

Malt
2 row 40 lbs
Pilsner 7 lbs
Carastan 8 lbs
Munich .5 lbs
Bonlander 6.5 lbs
Melanoiden 4 lbs
CaraAroma 8 lbs
Carapils 2.5 lbs
Pail Wheat 5 lbs
Aromatic 4 lbs
C 120 .5 lbs
C 40 .5 lbs
C 30 .5 lbs
C 20 1 lb
C 10 1 lb
Chocolate malt .5 lb

Hops
Cascade 6oz
Willamette 6oz
Chinook 1oz
Centennial 1oz
Hallertau 1oz
Czech Saaz 2 oz
Tettnang 2oz
Perle 1oz

-Troy

This is what I came up with so far

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 9.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 41.3 IBU

67% 2 row
10% Carastan
10% Bonlander
10% Pilsner
5% Carapils

.5 oz Centennial 60
.5 oz Centennial 45
.5 oz Chinook 20
1 oz Cascade 0
.5 oz Chinook 0

Are you going for an APA with some neutral yeast? That would work if that's what you want to brew. This is ticky tack but I might swap the hops around a bit like use 1/2 oz of your chinook to bitter at 60 then use the full oz of centennial with the cascase at flameout. If you have enough bittering with that you could move the other chinook addition to a little later. You've got some more cascade you could dry hop with too.

Other than that if you're flexible on yeast you've got the ingredients for any number of styles - APA, American amber, probably a brown. You could do an American or German hefe, a number of belgian styles - pale ale/blonde, tripel/golden strong, saison, etc. Maybe a Dubbel with the caraaroma and some dark candi sugar. Then there's all the European lagers (Bonlander is Munich, right?).

chickypad, thanks for the reply. Yes, This is my first attempt at an APA. I will play around with the hops. I am flexible on yeast and I am open to any style beer. I would like to use up the Carastan, Bonlander and Aromatic, but am not sure what to do with them. Any suggestions are welcome.

Are you going for an APA with some neutral yeast? That would work if that's what you want to brew. This is ticky tack but I might swap the hops around a bit like use 1/2 oz of your chinook to bitter at 60 then use the full oz of centennial with the cascase at flameout. If you have enough bittering with that you could move the other chinook addition to a little later. You've got some more cascade you could dry hop with too.

Other than that if you're flexible on yeast you've got the ingredients for any number of styles - APA, American amber, probably a brown. You could do an American or German hefe, a number of belgian styles - pale ale/blonde, tripel/golden strong, saison, etc. Maybe a Dubbel with the caraaroma and some dark candi sugar. Then there's all the European lagers (Bonlander is Munich, right?).

That's a lot of carastan to use up, but you could use a 0.5-1 lb in a lot of ales. Maybe consider an Oktoberfest to use up the Bonlander. You might check out Biermuncher's OktoberFAST recipe below - uses an ale yeast so you don't have to worry about lager temps and you'll need to scale it down to your 5 gal size. I would suggest swapping out the dark munich + vienna in the recipe for your 10L Bonlander, or use a mix of a little pilsner and the Bonlander. It also calls for some aromatic and then you could swap out the C20+C40 for your carastan.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/biermunchers-oktoberfast-ale-ag.39021/

I have the same question. I have
20# of 2 row
40 plus # of special b malt
5 gallon bucket of wheat, oats, and whole kernel corn
1 oz of centennial and one of chinook
I have English us-04 and us-05 yeast

Last edited:
that's a lot of special B

if that's all i have to choose from, i'd try 10% oats, enough 2-row to get to 1.055 and adjust your color with special B; 7-8 SRM?
chinook early and centennial late.
us-05.

Cool. Is there a website/ program that I can do this with? Give it what I have and it shoots out what my options are?

that's a lot of special B

if that's all i have to choose from, i'd try 10% oats, enough 2-row to get to 1.055 and adjust your color with special B; 7-8 SRM?
chinook early and centennial late.
us-05.

Should I roast the oats at all?

If these are not flaked oats, I’ve no experience.
I’ve read where people toast them in the oven then perform a cereal rest before mashing.

Gingerbread spice granola
IMG_4552.JPG can I or should I put this in the mash?
I have the following base malt to work with.
Maris Otter
Pilsen
Biscuit
Rahr 2 Row

IMG_4553.JPG

Back