Recipe says use 2 1/2 gallons of water but I have a 10 gallon pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer_Bob

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I brewed my first batch of beer. It was a LME Stone Pale Ale clone. The recipe said to do the boil with 2 1/2 gallons of water and then after all the brewing and chilling to top it off with water until it was at 5 1/2 gallons.

In preparation for eventually moving into AG brewing the pot I purchased is a 10 gallon pot. Boiling that 2 1/2 gallons in that 10 gallon pot really felt like I was underutilizing my equipment.

I have two more recipe kits coming to me (this time they are DME though). An oatmeal stout and a Scottish ale. If the recipe says the same thing should I still do the 2 1/2 gallon boil or can I can I start with a larger amount of water? Does it matter? Advantages, disadvantages? Thanks.

The instructions are for a partial boil. Start with the 2 1/2 gallons to steep the specialty grains and then remove grains and top of to 5 gallons for a full boil. You should top off to 5 1/2 gallons at the the end though. You will lose some water during the boil.

Forrest

Thanks, Forrest. In terms of the quality of the final product, is there any difference between a partial and full boil?

You may also need to adjust your hop additions. The recipe is likely set for the partial boil and hop utilization will be different for the full boil (slightly better with larger volume so may not need as much hops to get target IBU).

The instructions are for a partial boil. Start with the 2 1/2 gallons to steep the specialty grains and then remove grains and top of to 5 gallons for a full boil. You should top off to 5 1/2 gallons at the the end though. You will lose some water during the boil.

Forrest

Since I've never done a full boil when I extract brewed, why wouldn't you start your boil with 6-6.5 gallons so you end up with 5.5, rather than topping off at the end?

You need to steep your grains in a smaller amount of water to begin with. Then you can add more water. By adding a little water at the end, it will help start to cool the batch and you want to make sure you don't over dilute. Either way will work.

Back