Recipe Review: Dark Rye 'Braggot'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostBoyScout

Reaction score
Hey gang!

I've never brewed something like this, but I feel pretty strongly about making it work. Heck, I've already named it "Esmeralda Ale". It will be an on-going refinement process through 1 gallon baby batches, but I wanted your advice on my ratios based on your vastly higher experience over mine.

I put the term Braggot in quotes because it's not really a braggot in its current state, though it could become one again if the ratios change. It might just be a honey-fortified ale.

This is what I plan to put into it:

47.5% Maris Otter
7.5% Flaked rye
7.5% Rye malt
2.5% Chocolate malt
5% Flaked oats
30% Buckwheat honey

25 IBU charge of Cascade at 45 minutes
25 IBU charge of Cascade/Centennial at 15 minutes (not sure of ratio)

Scottish Ale yeast

I was thinking a long-ish boil, maybe 120 minutes. Planning to aim for about a 1.090 OG. I'm really not sure what to expect for a FG as I'm totally new to the honey-ale / braggot situation, but I know the alcohol tolerance of the Scottish ale yeast could take it to a pretty dry state potentially. I'd kind of like to leave it a little sweet, but maybe the rye malts will take care of that for me? I'm thinking 1.015 - 1.020 kind of sweetness.

Any red flags come up for you? What would you recommend for a mash temp for this grain bill? Shall I add the honey at the end of the boil? Is buckwheat honey a terrible idea? Do I need to add specific nutrients to make the honey more viable? Maybe I should cut some of the MO out and add a little Crystal 80L or something to get that dark/sweet balance I'm looking for... or maybe it's good as is?

Once I figure this recipe out and dial in the recipe, I look forward to playing with some oak chip aging, but that's in the rather distant future...

Disclaimer: I've never made a braggot, but enjoy the two I've had and LOVE rye beer. Strong opinions without basis in fact below.

First, you are my hero for trying this. Godspeed sir.

Regarding the adjuncts (minus honey), drop the oats, bump up the rye. You're going to get an increased mouthfeel from both, so why not stick with your rye theme? Also, have you tasted crystal rye? It's so good I've eaten out of the bag before. Chocolate rye gets a little roasty and licorice-y. C'mon man, think of the rye! On my system, I'm good on rye until somewhere between 30-50% and then its beta glucan central. Don't be afraid, but respect the pain rye can inflict. Haven't tried step mashing yet as the RIMS is still a work in progress.

I do not know what buckwheat honey tastes like. Sounds earthy, but what do I know? I get a lot of earthiness from Rye and like citrus or floral aromas to go with that flavor. I've never had a sweet braggot, most of the one's I've had have been a little honey flavor but mostly aromatics.

No thoughts on hopping. I don't remember much hops at all in any of the ones I've tried.

Summation: Dial in your grain and process and then get weird with honey. Until then, use something available, cheap, and basic as honey is expensive!

Oh, and again, good luck!

Thanks for the most excellent advice! You're right, I should embrace the rye and drop the oats. I had this preconceived notion that I wanted oats and honey in it together but not for any good reason. I will update accordingly!

Buckwheat honey is known for a strong flavor. Although I've not tried it myself, the reports make me think it may be too 'out there' for your brew... unless you really want to go crazy! :)

If you already have the honey on hand, do a proper taste test in some tea or something, at high concentrations, and see how you think it will sit in your beer.

For most other honeys, I would add them after the boil, once the wort has cooled below 125-F, or even to the primary directly after fermentation has slowed down. IMHO .. clover honey would be a nice alternate honey for this recipe.

Kudos for giving this a whirl! Let us know how you fare!
--LexusChris

Back