Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bscott626

Reaction score
I am planning my 2nd brew (a Chocolate Milk Stout for the better half - keep mama happy). I took the recipe from NB into my LHBS and asked if he could get me close. This is what he came up with.

0.75 lbs American Chocolate
0.25 lbs Crystal 120

6.6 lbs LME Briess Special Dark.

1 lb Lactose

1 oz Galena (60 mins)
.5 oz Galena (30 mins)

Safale S-04

4 oz Cacao Nibs in the secondary.

Planning to do a partial boil (don't have a pot large enough yet).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I would recommend including a bit of roasted barley (half pound or so) and some lactose to keep it in-style. I usually avoid the super dark crystals, and would probably opt for Crystal 80L. Adding the roasted barley will keep your color dark. I'd probably also swap the amounts that you are showing for the specialty malt... 0.75 lbs Crystal and 0.25 lbs Chocolate malt (maybe 0.5 lbs, but no more - a little of this goes a long way).

When I was using LME pretty regularly, I was never a fan of the darker stuff. I preferred to use the LME as a replacement for the base malt only, and generally used light or extra-light if available, then added the specialty grains that I would use if brewing all grain.

Hop schedule looks in order.

This is all just my $0.02. The recipe you show will make a dark beer with some bitterness, but little hop aroma; I wouldn't call it a milk stout though. YMMV.

For some reason I left the lactose off the recipe. Will edit to correct. Recipe also called for Cocoa Nibs in the secondary.

Well, let's look at the stats from Briess ingredient PDF ... One 3.3lb can has this..

24% base malt
25% wheat
29% Crystal 60L
19% chocolate
3% roast barley

A half pound of roast barley seems a bit over the top, but yes, the lactose you'd need in a milk stout. Adding in 2-3oz of cocoa powder (baking chocolate, not the milk chocolate) might be something to consider, too.
...no, wait...you have the cocoa nibs, never mind me ... :)

If you're interested, Briess posts a list of possible recipes for their malts on their webpages. You may find some interesting tips there if you're inclined to use their liquid or dry extracts for brewing.

This doesn't feel like something I need to apologize for........

Another web source I love to use is Kegerator.com. They have some great recipe background and info behind the styles.
Now I blame you for stirring up the stout bug for brewing my own version......

Curious enough, when I search their recipe databases I don't see the CBW Special Dark as an option to search by
If you're interested, Briess posts a list of possible recipes for their malts on their webpages. You may find some interesting tips there if you're inclined to use their liquid or dry extracts for brewing.

The 1 lb of lactose will make this a nice milk stout in conjunction with the cocoa nibs.

For the nibs.....I roast (low heat) the nibs on an oven sheet until they become fragrant like brownies baking. Baking gently helps open up the aromas you'll get from the nibs. Then, I put the cooled nibs in a jar and cover with a cup of vodka and leave for around two weeks. This creates a tincture that I strain out the solids and add in the liquid tincture when kegging or bottling. This method extracts far more flavor from the nibs than you'll get by an addition in secondary....plus if you are like me, you don't want the hassle and risks of a secondary anyway.

Curious enough, when I search their recipe databases I don't see the CBW Special Dark as an option to search by

They left out a link, but the Special Dark .PDF is right under the Traditional Dark.PDF lower on down the Extracts page. Another tip, if you already have or are considering to buy their canned extracts a production date is on the underside of the container.
Not sure if any of their listed recipes even use the Special Dark, will have to look. Even though I like their extract, I've moved on to all grain brewing. It's been over a year since any extract was purchased and stowed in my refrigerator.

Back