Recipe needed for red velvet cake beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MInoobbrewer

Reaction score
Hey everybody. I need a recipe. A while back i had a micro brew that tasted like red velvet cake. Since then I've been looking for a recipe to replicate it. Apperently Eagle Rock out of California make one that won some awards. They had a link for a home brew recipe but it doesn't work now. I've sent an email to them but they don't seem to write back well (it is the holidays) but any help in creating this would be appreciated. I can do all - grain and partial mash

Brilliant, are you going to use red gel colouring like in the cake? :D Here in the UK they put those crushed beetles into it...

Don't use beets, that'll be weird. The vanilla you use will determine how much to add, if you use extract do not use the cheapest stuff you can find at the grocery store. I use Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon vanilla extract from Amazon, it's consistent and strong enough so you don't need a lot.. I have tried Ghiardelli and it came out almost grainy in the beer while Droste does not leave that grainy mouth-feel..

I've made this 7 times and it's always well received, some people have asked me to sell it to them.

Anyway, here's my recipe;

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: White Labs; WLP004 Irish Ale
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.018
IBU: 22
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 15 SRM

Ingredients ;
Amount Item
5.5 lbs 2 Row
3.5 lbs Munich
8 oz Caramel/Crystal 120L
8 oz German Light Wheat
2 oz German Chocolate Wheat 500 SRM
1 lb Lactose
4.5 oz Malto-Dextrine
8.0 oz Cocoa Powder (Droste)

0.70 oz Northern Brewer hops (60 minute)
1 Wirfloc

Mash Profile -
Mash in 7.75 gallons @ 155 60 min

Bring to boil
Add Northern Brewer
Lactose @ 40 min
Malto-Dextrine @ 40 min
Cocoa Powder @ 50 min (add water to make a paste before adding to boil)
Wirfloc @ 55 min

Pitch @ 67F

Ferment 2 weeks @ 67 degrees F
Add 3 Tbs. Vanilla to secondary, 1 week

:mug:

IMG_0811.jpg

Don't use beets, that'll be weird. The vanilla you use will determine how much to add, if you use extract do not use the cheapest stuff you can find at the grocery store. I use Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon vanilla extract from Amazon, it's consistent and strong enough so you don't need a lot.. I have tried Ghiardelli and it came out almost grainy in the beer while Droste does not leave that grainy mouth-feel..

I've made this 7 times and it's always well received, some people have asked me to sell it to them.

Ingredients ;
Amount Item
5.5 lbs 2 Row
3.5 lbs Munich
8 oz German Light Wheat
1 lb Lactose
4.5 oz Malto-Dextrine

1 Wirfloc

Mash Profile -

Bring to boil
Add Northern Brewer
Lactose @ 40 min
Malto-Dextrine @ 40 min
Wirfloc @ 55 min

Pitch @ 67F

Awesome brother. Thank you so much. I'll try to get this together for this weekend since I got a bucket empty. since I may have to order vanilla that puts it out further so I'll order two. Hoping I can get that chocolate at the store. Prost!

Awesome brother. Thank you so much. I'll try to get this together for this weekend since I got a bucket empty. since I may have to order vanilla that puts it out further so I'll order two. Hoping I can get that chocolate at the store. Prost!

If you have a World Market in your area, they will have the Droste cocoa powder.

Looks like they carry the Nielsen-Massey vanilla also - http://www.worldmarket.com/product/nielsen-massey-vanilla.do?&refType=&from=Search

I guess you can add a freshly chopped beetroot towards the end of the boil. Wouldn't add much flavour at all but does provide some sugars and definitively colour!

Yes but Its only about eleven days in to the primary. I still got a couple days before I rack it over the vanilla in the secondary. But I'm not gonna lie, I was debating on doing that tomorrow

New brewer here, I just want to be clear regarding your fermenting stages:

Primary for 1 week @ 67 degrees
Secondary for 2 Weeks @ 67 degrees

No. It's ferment 2 weeks @ 67 degrees F then transfer to secondary & add 3 Tbs. Vanilla for 1 week

Ingredients ;
Amount Item
5.5 lbs 2 Row
3.5 lbs Munich
8 oz German Light Wheat
1 lb Lactose
4.5 oz Malto-Dextrine

1 Wirfloc

Mash Profile -

Bring to boil
Add Northern Brewer
Lactose @ 40 min
Malto-Dextrine @ 40 min
Wirfloc @ 55 min

Pitch @ 67F

View attachment 246673
Sounds and looks really good. I am taking a stab at this. What base style of beer would you say this is? TIA

Back