Recipe Ideas for Bière de Mars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtwilliams31

Reaction score
I've got some slurry from a saison I recently finished (Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse Ale), and I'm looking to use it in a beer for spring. I've already got a Maibock lagering for May, but now I'm looking at brewing a Bière de Mars for March and using my 3726. Since it seems like a lesser known beer, I was curious if anyone has any experience brewing one and would have a recipe to share? I tend to do smaller brews so I'm not afraid to experiment/get a little weird with this one.

I did some digging and looked at a few different recipes to come up with one of my own. The most interesting/singular part is probably the hopping of 3/4 of an ounce of Columbus (CTZ) at 20 minutes instead of a standard bittering + flavor/aroma additions that came from Craft Beer & Brewing. The end result is an OG of about 1.050 on my system (a bit low I know for a Bière de Garde (but possibly not Bière de Mars?) but this yeast is a monster attenuator), ibu of around 25-30, and SRM of 11. Everything but the OG is in-style for Bière de Garde:

40% Pilsner

26.5% White Wheat

26.5% Munich (9l)

3% Crystal 20

3% Crystal 40

1% Black Patent

3/4 oz Columbus (CTZ) @ 20 min

Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse Ale

Thoughts?

Funny, I was just designing a Bier de Mars today. I'm not a CTZ fan, but I think the malt bill looks solid.

Saison yeast isn't traditional for a BdM (that I see), but it's your beer, ferment it as you please.

Funny, I was just designing a Bier de Mars today. I'm not a CTZ fan, but I think the malt bill looks solid.

Saison yeast isn't traditional for a BdM (that I see), but it's your beer, ferment it as you please.

Yeah, I think hops are the one area that I'm not quite sure which direction to take. Do you have any ideas where you'll end up going with your?

I'm designing mine based on the Bier de Mars recipe in Farmhouse Ales, but as of now am planning to bitter with a little Nugget (since I have it) and adding Sterling and Strisselspalt as flavor and aroma additions. I love Continental hops and their offspring, and Strisselspalt is definitely one of my favorites.

Back