Recipe Formulation Help - Smokey Maple Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samwrighteous

Reaction score
Hey fellow brewers,
I am relatively new to this, but I wanted to make a beer that is both smokey and flavored with maple syrup. I think this would be delicious, but I don't know exactly how to achieve this. Should it be a porter or stout or something else? I would like to do this using partial mash/extract ingredients and make a 5 gallon batch. I tried looking for a recipe but couldn't seem to find one. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

Take a basic porter or stout recipe and add some smoked malt adjusting the other grains. I have a hard time determining between browns-up to stouts.Im still stumped on wether my brown ale is a porter.
Ive added the maple for priming sugar but also added vanilla bean and checked it after a week and it is awesome. I think it may be brown american ale. I havent used the smoked malt yet but am going to soon. Probably in a honey porter. With that one i may just use Midwest supplies honey porter kit recipe you can download and just tweak it.
But since your new you may want to get a kit or read read read . I think Northern Brewer may have a kit you may be looking for though

And you could taste the maple syrup when you used it as a primer. How much did you use? 3/4 cup for 5 gallons? Also I have heard smoked malts can overpower more delicate flavors like maple syrup. What do you think is a good amount to use?

Check a priming calculator some of them have maple syrup included, I think i used Tasteybrews calc.
If you can find the balance or someone more experienced. Im realitivly new. I think you may like adding maple at least the last 20 min of the boil. I would look at recipes with smoked malt.like smoked porters.
I kinda wish i hadnt used the vanilla so i could determin the maple better but for a two gallon batch 1 bean is pretty pronounced. It definatly is good but it was more vanilla, im going to have to try maple for my oatmeal cream vanilla stout as a primer. I used vanilla in the boil on that one and im thinking it wont be as intense as using it in the priming sugar. If you really want a maple flavor you may want to add molassis in the boil ive heard alot about that really giving off a flavor.
Hopefully someone with more experience with this can chime in. Happy Brewing.

the general rule of thumb for peated malts is "go big or go home". And it takes FOREVER to age! I would recommend that you try the peated malts in something (scotch ale) and the maple in something else (brown ale) and then consider slamming the two together after you have a grip on the two adjuncts in a more isolated scenario.

the general rule of thumb for peated malts is "go big or go home". And it takes FOREVER to age! I would recommend that you try the peated malts in something (scotch ale) and the maple in something else (brown ale) and then consider slamming the two together after you have a grip on the two adjuncts in a more isolated scenario.

so your saying if i added a small amount of smokey malt to a brown ale , for instance doing a 2 gallon batch,which in most cases would add like 3 oz to.since its a specialty steeping grain,right? That this would take forever to ferment?really? Im finding that hard to beleive. Is there a differnece in peated malt to smokey malt? Or is this a base grain?

No, not forever to ferment, forever to age. A young beer made with peated malts tastes like a fire place IMO.

And I would look around for some reference on the quantity of peated malt to use. It is not like a crystal malt - it has a totally different impact.

No, not forever to ferment, forever to age. A young beer made with peated malts tastes like a fire place IMO.

And I would look around for some reference on the quantity of peated malt to use. It is not like a crystal malt - it has a totally different impact.

Ok thanks i bought some but haven looked into what to do with them yet.thanks again. Making beer is a never ending quest to make it better, and even better when you have a good beer like Two Brothers Resistance ipa holy crap is it good and got that:mug: marshmellow head pillowy thing going on too.

Keep in mind there is a huge difference between peated malt and smoked malt. Do some searches on the differences. Peat is very phenolic (strong earthy intense smoke taste/smell) and you might only add a couple ounces to 5 gal. Smoked malts are less intense and a larger percentage of your grain bill could be smoked in exchange for regular 2 row. Search peated and smoked recipes for a beter idea of percentages of your grain bill. Good luck

Latest posts

Back