Recipe Feedback -- ChocoPorter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qbst

Reaction score
Hey, Howyadoin', 'sup.

I'm trying to do a economical (read, inexpensive) chocolate porter. Here's what I've come up with (using beertarget for my calcs). Any and all suggestions definitely welcome. Thanks in advance!

5 Gal Batch
OG: 1.062
FG: 1.016
IBU's: 31.8
SRM: 43.5

Yeast: S-05
Mash: 152

Grain
8.0 lb Rahr 2-row
3.0 lb C 60
1.0 lb Chocolate Malt
.5 lb flaked oats

Hops
60 mins 1.0 oz. Magnum

Misc.
1.5 cup cocoa powder at 10 min
2 vanilla beans in primary

That's a lot of crystal malt. I would push it down to a pound or less and up the 2-row, otherwise you're going to have an overly sweet beer. If you're worried about this making the beer too light in color, add in some more roasted malt.

Thanks for the feedback. I am basing this recipe off of a PM I did a while ago. In that batch, my base was Amber LME, with roasted malts to porter-ize it. I read somewhere that, although amber LME can differ from company to company and their precise ingredients are unknown, a good rule of thumb for converting from Amber extract to an all grain version was 2 2-row to not quite 1 C-60.

Is that general guide out of sync with your experience? Any further input would be much appreciated. Thanks again!

have you considered adding about 8oz of cacao nibs to secondary, and completely doing away with the powder in the boil?

they cost about 8 bucks so they are inexpensive

I haven't really thought about nibs versus powder. I used powder last time, and thought it turned out well. Are nibs better than the powder? Do they give a better flavor?

I haven't really thought about nibs versus powder. I used powder last time, and thought it turned out well. Are nibs better than the powder? Do they give a better flavor?

i prefer them to powder. they give off a more "real" chocolate flavor IMO. if you have never used them it cant hurt to try them.

Back