Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenDog

Reaction score
I'm working on an extract IPA recipe and I'm looking for a little critique.

Here's the recipe that I'm pretty happy with at the moment.

Extract:
7.25 # Extra Light DME

Yeast:
Wyeast 1272

Specialty Grains:
.5 # Crystal Malt 10L
.05 # Roasted Barley (color)

Hops:
1 oz Galena @ 60mins
2.5 oz Centennial @ 20mins
6 oz Cascade @ 5mins

BeerSmith gives:

OG: 1.064
Bitterness: 71.9 IBU
Color: 6.4 SRM
Alcohol: 6.27%
IBU/SG: 1.125

I plan on fermenting at 70*F and then moving to secondary after about 4-7 days. Then kegging and carbing to 2.5 volumes of CO2.

What do you guys think?

Personally, I like my IPA's to be darker than that. .55 pounds of crystal 10 and a pinch of roasted barley isn't much.

What are the alpha percentages of your hops?

I Think you would be better to spread out your cascades and centennials a bit and hold back a few ounces for a dry hop.

If you can, try to ferment that a little cooler...1272 is pretty estery sometimes.

I pretty much agree with what ^ they say.

Use darker Crystal (60L to 90L), and maybe up it to 0.75 lbs.

Keep the roasted. It's not going to do anything to the color in that amount, but will help with clearing the beer.

Centennial at 20 is not doing much for you. Very little flavor, and very little bittering. Move an ounce to the 60 with the Galena, and move the rest to 15, 10 and 5.

6 ozs of Cascade @ 5 almost seems like a waste ....... 1-dimensional. If it were me I'd go 1 ozs at 15, 10, 5 and 0, and save 2 ozs for dry hopping. Adding at different times will bring out different characteristics of the hops (different oils being dominant).

Good luck.

I roasted a pound of flakes barley at 350F for 12 mins and used it in an extract based IPA a while back. Totally dug the RAF retention it gave and the color was fabulous. That beer took a while to clear, and I suspect it was due to the protein in the Flaked barley. 1/2 pound may be jut the ticket! Let us know how it goes!

While a bit on the pale end, it seems like it'll still be within style. Although I'd definitely spread out the late additions a bit, and save at least an ounce for dry hops, particularly the cascade (it's a personal fav of mine for dry hopping anyway).

Cheers! :mug:

The same IPA I used the roasted barley in (above) I dry hopped with Amarillo. It was delic! Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong. Stay sanitary and ferment at good temps and your beer will be great! May e do it exactly the same, but with different hops or maybe with a slight change in grains/extracts next time, so you can really learn how they work.

I'll look into spreading out the hops. What do you guys think of the ibu level vs the amount of extract? My last batch turned out with a bit of a malty sweetness to it.

This is why I inquired about the alpha % of your hops. 1 oz of bittering for an IPA sounds like very little to me.

I'll have to check then when I get home. Can't remember off the to of my head.

Im gonna go for a dry hop recommendation as well.

6oz at 5 minutes is alot of aroma, most of which will get pushed out by fermentation anyway. you could half that, add 1oz dry hop and end up with more (and a few oz of hops saved for next time)

The AA% are:

Galena 13%
Centennial 10%
Cascade 5.5%

I'm definitely going to dry hop this one. I thinking about going with one oz of cascade.

Latest posts

Back