Recipe Critique please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zhubbell

Reaction score
Ok, so I've never brewed a wheat beer before, so any advice would be appreciated, heres what I'm thinking I'll do.

Blood Pucker Hopped Blood Orange Witbier
5 gallon beer + Half Gallon water, for 5.5g batch

Ingredients:

4.5# 2 row
4.5# Wheat, Flaked
2.5oz Mosaic Hops
1oz Corriander, fresh ground

7 Blood Oranges

2.5 oz Mosaic [editted - Copy and pasted incorrectly]

WLP400 Belgian With Ale, ~180b cells

Mash for 60 min at 154degrees F
60 Minute Boil

60 – 1oz Mosaic
15 - .5oz Mosaic
0 – 1 oz Mosaic

Heat zest & inner fruit in muslin bag, with .5g water to 160 degrees, hold for 10 minutes, let cool, and add to carboy right before pitching yeast

I would use 1.5 ~ 2oz of Corriander if you are adding at the end of the boil for a 5 gallon batch. Also thats allot of hops, not a bad thing but assuming you get 70% efficiency your looking at around 1.040 OG on 5.5 gallons. I think that amount of hops will overtake the flavor of corriander.
Good Luck

Yeah - corriander at 5min - is it supposed to be ground, or should I leave it whole?

As per hops, it's the flavor you're thinking is Ganna take over, right? So cutting down the 0min hop will do that without diminishing IBUs, right? I got 69.3 IBUs as it stands which I think is the level I'm looking for, you think I'd be better off dropping the 1oz at flameout to .5oz?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That is a lot of coriander in my book. I would keep it where you have it and not grind it. Then again, I had a bad experience with too much melon type flavor from coriander in a beer. Ugh.

You might consider bumping up the grain bill with this much hops but overall it looks tasty!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm not sure I understand, are all those American hops in the recipe? I see the schedule for the mosaic then you list over 10 oz of other hops. At any rate, 69 IBU sounds way too high for a witbier - to style would be 10-20 IBU. I'm not necessarily one who thinks you need to adhere to style guidelines but I think this is going to be very unbalanced - looks like your OG is in the mid 1.040's?

Oh my bad - I totally messed up the copy and paste!!! The only hops I was planning on using was 2.5 oz mosaic! ONLY those hops!
1 oz @ 60
.5 oz @ 15
1 oz @ 0

I fixed the original post.
What do you think about going up to 5.5# of each grain? To help balance and keep the hop schedule

What do you think about going up to 5.5# of each grain? To help balance and keep the hop schedule

I guess it depends what you're after. If you want to make a typical wit they are not highly hopped beers. Even going from mid 1.040's to mid 1.050's OG it still looks way too bitter to me. Now maybe that's what you want. The few highly bittered white IPA's I've had that use Belgian yeast I didn't care for as I think it clashes with the yeast, but some folks like them. I do like the "wheat IPA's" that are more American style. Do you have a commercial beer in mind that is similar to what you want?

Not really.
I'm a big IPA guy, and I love hippiness, and I thought the smell of the mosaic I just got would go great with a blood orange beer.
I do want an "imperial Witbier", that is hoppier than expected, but maybe I'm going to big here...
I'm leaning towards going 5.5# of each each, and dropping the 90 min hop to .5oz.

Looks like that's put me at ~35 IBUs. Do you think that'll play ok w the yeast? I'd consider going more the regular wheat IPA but my Witbier yeast is started and almost ready to brew

Well it would be much more to my tastes. But if the "Imperial witbier" is what you're after and you like them then maybe I should retract my advice. The ones I'm thinking of that I don't care for like Saranac white IPA, Anchorage galaxy, Deschutes chainbreaker (which I know is actually quite popular) are in the 50's IBU range - so still quite high for a witbier but not as high as your original recipe.

Whatever you do good luck with it!
:mug:

Thanks man - I actually haven't had any of those, so I think I trip to my local craft beer store tomorrow will maybe give me a better idea of what I should do!

yeah you'll want to go rice hulls or buy a paint strainer bag and put all the wheat in there for the mash. partial BIAB?

also, consider a protein rest. it's a hallmark of wheat beers and isn't that terribley difficult to do. just rest at 120-130F for around 20 minutes. pull 1.5gals off and bring it to a boil and then return to mash for sach rest.

Latest posts

Back