recipe conversion help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyveedub

Reaction score
I'm really new to this, so please forgive my simple question. I want to brew a batch of the san diego county session ale from stone/ballast/mcnair. I found the recipe and entered the ingredients in beer smith but the recipe I found is for 7gal of wort. I dont have equipment to make 7 gallons. how do I convert it correctly to get a correct 5 gallon batch? I added the original recipe that I found. When I entered it into beer smith and changed the batch size from 7 to 5 gallons nothing changed.

"Here is the recipe for 7 gallons of wort with a mash efficiency of 82%:

OG: 1.042
8.75lb Domestic 2-row
0.5lb Crisp Crystal Malt 77L
0.5lb CaraPils
0.2lb Honey Malt
0.1lb CaraVienne Malt

Mash at 158F for 60 minutes

Boil for 90 minutes
Hops:
20g Warrior (38.2 IBU) at 60 min
7g CTZ (7.3 IBU) at 30 min
10g Amarillo (3.1 IBU) at 10 min
10g Simcoe (4.3 IBU) at 10 min
1oz each Simcoe, Amarillo, Chinook, Citra, CTZ at 0 min
1oz each Simcoe, Amarillo, Chinook, Citra, CTZ dry hop

Fermentation:
WLP001 or WY1056 at 67F until completely fermented
FG should be 1.010~1.011

Reduce temp to 50F to settle out yeast

Return to 67F and dry hop for 7 days."

Ok thanks. How does brewing equipment change the recipe though? should I enter the recipe in originally with my equipment, then scale it down to 5gal?

Ok thanks. How does brewing equipment change the recipe though? should I enter the recipe in originally with my equipment, then scale it down to 5gal?

you should definitely set it up with your equipment settings. That way beersmith will figure the water volumes, boil off, temps, etc...

Use the scale tool to adjust the recipe SIZE for your target batch size and/or efficiency.

Play with it a bit and you will figure it out. :mug:

Latest posts

Back