Recipe calculator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicoleBrewer

Reaction score
What does everyone use for a recipe calculator, and or recipe storage? I have an app on my phone for it, but it's missing a lot of ingredients.

BeerSmith is probably the best and most popular. I don't use it, but all my friends do. I use StrangeBrew, which is an antique now but is almost as good as BeerSmith. It probably doesn't run on a phone though.

I typically use Brewers Friend. To save and print your information, you need to register and log in. For extra storage and editing, you'll need to be a paid member. There is a mobile app for Apple and Android available at Brewersfriend.com.

Might have to try that free Windows app, but for now, I'm stuck using an archaic iPad. Thanks for the tip. :)
I was so engrossed using the online calculators I hadn't bothered to check for other versions.

I'm a huge fan of Brewer's Friend, not just for the recipes but also for the brewing logs. It's a convenient way to look back at previous batches and remind myself what worked and what didn't.

I like BeerSmith. I've found in practice that the predicted numbers are very close to what I actually hit. You can save recipes to the cloud, but only a small number, 15, IIRC. I think I filled that up long ago. No matter, I rarely use that feature. When sharing recipes with friends who also have BS, I just email the .bsmx file. Old school.

I used to have ProMash but since that program has been abandoned. I finally broke down and bought Beersmith 2. I really like the full version for PC and laptop but the mobile version is not nearly as robust. What sux is that the mobile version is an extra charge and I really wish I had not wasted the money on it.

I've been using a new recipe designer called ezRecipe-RO. I like it because it uses distilled, or RO water, as a base for creating brewing water profiles. It's definitely easier to design recipes, and brewing water profiles, at the same time.

old V1 of Beersmith still going strong (with a few manual additions of "new" hops and grains). BUT I use www.brewtoad.com more and more these days. can access it and whip up a recipe when inspiration strikes from basically any device without needing to D/L an actual app. they also store all of your recipes on their server...which is nice :mug:

Back