Recipe Audit Request: Sweet stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

interrobang

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was hoping for some feedback on this recipe inspired by Steve's Mexican Chili Chocolate ice cream, which is a dark chocolate ice cream "spiced with Cayenne, Cinnamon and Taza Guajillo Chili Chocolate Pieces." As you might imagine, my objective is to get the beer as ice cream-like as reasonably possible. Yes, I realize this is a somewhat absurd project, but it's the holiday season.

I'm interested in general feedback, but would also love your more specific thoughts on the following issues:

1. Is the grain bill duplicative at all? How pronounced will roasted flavors be?

2. Is it sensible to do only a bittering hop addition (and forego aroma hopping)?

3. Do the amounts and timing of the spicings make sense? Is putting a chocolate bar (the Taza chocolate disk) directly into the boil stupid/nuts?

4. Flaked oats or flaked barley?

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Christmas in Mexico

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Sweet Stout
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.052
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.021
ABV (standard): 5.4%
IBU (tinseth): 22.82
SRM (morey): 38.4

FERMENTABLES:
6.5 lb - 2-Row (US) (62.2%)
1.5 lb - Amber (UK) (14.4%)
0.75 lb - Lactose (Milk Sugar) (7.2%)
0.5 lb - Flaked Oats (4.8%)
0.6 lb - United Kingdom - Chocolate (5.7%)
0.3 lb - United Kingdom - Black Patent (2.9%)
0.3 lb - United Kingdom - Roasted Barley (2.9%)

HOPS:
1.5 oz - Fuggles, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 22.82

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
4 oz - Taza Guajillo Chocolate, Time: 60 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil
0.5 oz - Cayenne, Time: 5 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
2 oz - Vanilla Beans, Type: Spice, Use: Secondary
2 oz - Cinnamon Sticks, Type: Flavor, Use: Secondary
1 oz - Cacao nibs (if needed), Type: Flavor, Use: Secondary
0.5 tsp - Ancho pepper (if needed), Type: Spice, Use: Secondary

YEAST:
Wyeast - London Ale III 1318
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 73%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 64 - 74 F
Fermentation Temp: 72 F

This sounds like a pretty good start to me, though I can't say I have a ton of experience making heavily spiced beer.

I feel like I would leave out aroma/flavor hops. You've got so much else going on that you don't want to muddy things up (a problem I've had with beers that contain flavorings other than hops, e.g., with fruit).

For similar reasons, I might try to keep the fermentation temperature a little lower--let the spice shine, rather than esters. Doubt that matters too much though.

I have no idea how to use chocolate in beer. I understand that people sometimes worry about having the fats from the chocolate interfere with head retention. Maybe an expert can help us with that, though.

I would go with oats. They lend a nice texture to the beer, which I think would work with your ice cream inspiration.

How dark is the amber malt that you plan on using?

I did a sweet stout with 1/2lb of lactose and London Ale III. I mashed at 154F. The apparent attenuation (including the lactose) was 60%. So, you might want to keep the mash temp lower than that.

Also, London III leaves some residual fruitiness. I don't know how that will play with the spices.

I think the stout portion of the recipe is fine. I'd also go with only bittering hops. Fuggles is a good choice. Northern Brewer would be too.

I can't offer any advice on the level of spices.

Back