Recipe advise for lager novice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aidan

Reaction score
I'm mostly a Pale Ale guy and have only done a couple of lagers which I've been underwhealmed with. But I have some Mangrove Jacks M84 lager yeast, Wyerman Bohemian Pilsner malt, Munich malt, Halertau hops here so I'm planning to have another go at a lager. Being a hoppy ale drinker I usually find lagers ok but a bit on the bland side for my liking. I was thinking of going a bit heavier with the Halertau hops to get a bit more hoppiness than usual but this thread has put that a bit into question.

So I'm looking for some advise on a lager recipe that uses the ingredients that I already have on hand but has a bit more character than a typical lager. Here's what I have on hand:

Yeast: Mangrove Jacks M84 Bohemian lager yeast

Hops:
Halertau - 100g (3.5oz ) pellets
Pacifica (aka Pacific Halertau) - 60g whole leaf
Pacifica (aka Pacific Halertau) - 100g pellets
I also have some other vaieties (Pacific Gem, Fuggle, Dr Rudi, Green Bullet, Rakau ) but the Halertau & Pacific Halertau are what I was thinking of using

Malt:
Wyerman Bohemian Pilsner
Wyerman Munich II
Munich I - small amount 1.2 kg
I also have ale malt, light crystal malt and small amounts of med crystal, wheat, rye, biscuit malt, CaraAroma, Carafa Special II, Pale Chocolate, Roast Barley

anyone got any input on this? like, what would be a good amount of munich to add? would adding 100g of Halertau pellets plus 100g of Pacific Halertau pellets and 60g of whole leaf Pacific Halertau, mostly in late additions, be a bad idea?

Keeping in mind that I've brewed a whopping four lagers, one just four days ago, my advice is to keep the recipe simple. Most lagers use 1-2 malts and 1 or maybe 2 hops; imo the recipes aren't as complex as a lot of ale recipes. Anyway, it's not clear what you're trying to brew. Do you want a Vienna lager, or some kind of dunkel? They usually aren't that hoppy. If you want hoppy, brew a pilsner, and stick to pilsner malt, and maybe carapils or a small amount of Munich or Vienna malt. I wouldn't do a kitchen sink type of beer, though.

Keeping in mind that I've brewed a whopping four lagers, one just four days ago, my advice is to keep the recipe simple. Most lagers use 1-2 malts and 1 or maybe 2 hops; imo the recipes aren't as complex as a lot of ale recipes. Anyway, it's not clear what you're trying to brew. Do you want a Vienna lager, or some kind of dunkel? They usually aren't that hoppy. If you want hoppy, brew a pilsner, and stick to pilsner malt, and maybe carapils or a small amount of Munich or Vienna malt. I wouldn't do a kitchen sink type of beer, though.

Open to suggestion as I'm not that well up on lager styles. Maybe a hoppy pilsner might be the ticket as I am a bit if a hop head. So you wouldn't use much Munich malt then? Would it clash with the hops? Can you do a good hoppy beer with halertau? Would all 260g of my halertau and pacific halertau be too much?

You should look up some of the recipes in the pilsner forum; if we're talking a five gallon batch, I would think that 260 g (9 oz) is way too much hops. Two or three oz near the end of boil is probably more like it, and possibly on the heavy side. (I personally would just use a high alpha hop lime magnum for the bjttering). I think some Munich would be alright, but I also think that most lager styles that are heavy on Munich (especially dark Munich) are meant to be malty, and don't have a huge hop presence.

If one was going for a hoppy pilsner with lots of late hops, is halertau a bad choice?

I think it's probably what most German pilsners use, so no, I'm sure it's a fine choice.

Well that's exactly what I was thinking - but then I come across discussions like this one which seem to imply that my original idea of a hoppy halertau lager might not come out so good.

Is there anyone here who likes halertau hops as a late hop addition? Anyone tried Pacifica (Pacific Halertau)?

Ok, here's first cut at a recipe:

November Pilsner
German Pilsner (Pils)

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size: 23 L (6 Gal)
Total Grain: 5 kg (11 lbs)
Total Hops: 160 g (5.6 oz)
Original Gravity: 1.047
Final Gravity: 1.012
Alcohol by Volume: 4.62 %
Colour (SRM): 4.8 (EBC): 9.5
Bitterness (IBU): 21.5 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
4.0 kg (8.8 lbs) Pilsner - Wyermann Floor-Malted Bohemian (80%)
0.6 kg (1.3 lbs) Munich I - Wyermann (12%)
0.2 kg (0.4 lbs) Munich II - Wyermann (4%)
0.2 kg (0.4 lbs) Wheat Malt (4%)

Hop Bill
----------------
30 g (1 oz) Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet (2.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)
30 g (1 oz) Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet (2.8% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)
40 g (1.4 oz) Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet (2.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (1.7 g/L)
60 g (2 oz) Pacific Hallertau Leaf (5.8% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (2.6 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
0.1 g Koppafloc @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 12°C with MJ - Bohemian Lager Yeast - M84

Appreciate any feedback please.

I think your bitterness is a little low at 21 for a German Pils. The other thing about lagers is that I find the cold conditioning seems to bring out the flavor/aroma of the 15-30 minute hops a bit more, and the late hops sometimes fade a bit. I would probably move 1 oz of the flameout hops to 30 minutes and see where that gets you bitterness-wise; try for around 30-35 IBU.

On dfhar's advice I've updated the recipe as follows:

November Pilsner
German Pilsner (Pils)

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size: 23 L (6 Gal)
Total Grain: 5 kg (11 lbs)
Total Hops: 160 g (5.6 oz)
Original Gravity: 1.047
Final Gravity: 1.012
Alcohol by Volume: 4.62 %
Colour (SRM): 4.8 (EBC): 9.5
Bitterness (IBU): 35.1 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
4.0 kg (8.8 lbs) Pilsner - Wyermann Floor-Malted Bohemian (80%)
0.6 kg (1.3 lbs) Munich I - Wyermann (12%)
0.2 kg (0.4 lbs) Munich II - Wyermann (4%)
0.2 kg (0.4 lbs) Wheat Malt (4%)

Hop Bill
----------------
30 g (1 oz) Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet (2.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)
30 g (1 oz) Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet (2.8% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)
40 g (1.4 oz) Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet (2.8% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (1.7 g/L)
60 g (2 oz) Pacific Hallertau Leaf (5.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (2.6 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
0.1 g Koppafloc @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 12°C with MJ - Bohemian Lager Yeast - M84

Any further feedback most welcome
Cheers, Aidan

anyone have an opinion on how this will turn out with the aggressive late hopping schedule?

Back