Recipe advice for May 4th! (opinions please)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellmtbbq

Reaction score
en route to the LHBS in an hour... For the first time ever, I'm really not sure what to brew. Being National Homebrew Day on May 4th, I'm stuck between doing a RIS/mild partigyle, or maybe a double brew day of an Irish stout and an ordinary bitter. Part of me wants to make something huge and memorable to age, but the other part of me wants to knock out a double batch and make tons of session beer for the summer coming.

Advice??

Big brew day can go many directions as far as recipes go. If you follow the AHA recommendations they offer 3 styles to brew collectively...... A Belgian pale ale , a dark English mild, and a lager beer. Just a FYI.

I'll be doing a Berliner Wheat PM kit from midwest I thought looked good & simple. Wanna start messing around with wheat ales for warm whether. I've been dragging my heals on experimenting with wheats for too long.

Yeah if it was me solely making the decision brewing a good summer ale I would have been doing either a Ipa, pale ale or a wheat of some sort. I am the president of my brew club and I have 65 members brewing in parties of 5 and we are a AHA club as well as I am promoting AHA events and programs in my area. All that said I am recommending my club follow AHA guidelines and brew one of the 3 recommended styles though being democratic I put up to a vote via a poll on our site. So it's still a mystery at this point as to what we will be brewing. I'm just excited about the fact we are purchasing 2 full French oak barrels and will be ageing appx. 70 gallons in the barrels and carboys not in that particular order. Should be a fun day no matter what we or anyone decides to brew !!!Just remember the collective toast at noon CST so if like me here on the east coast at 1PM I will raise my glass to all my HBT brothers and sisters !!

Me too,I'll be puting 12 more dark hybrid lagers in the fridge today for that toast. I expect I'll be in the middle of my brew day at that point. so it'll be apprapo to toast y'all!:mug: My kit,etc is still processing at midwest. I hope it ships tomorrow to get here in time. My barley crusher is scheduled to be here sometime tomorrow.

^My thoughts as well. As long as we're all brewing on that day,that's what matters. My wife did her 1st brew on this day last year. BB Summer Ale kit.

Yea, the English dark mild recipe looked interesting, I could do that, but cut out a pound of base malt. (1.044 is too high for a "proper mild")

See if this makes sense as a reverse partigyle.

My goal is to end up with a ordinary bitter (pale), and an inky RIS, each 2.5 gallon batches. How do I do this from one mash? I read up and found some English brewers did this.

I'd mash nine pounds of British Pearl base malt with 8 ounces of Crystal 60, for forty five minutes. I'd run off x quarts of first runnings, and dilute to 2.75 gallons of 1.032 wort. Cap the mash with roughly three pounds of roasted, caramel, and flaked grains, mash for another thirty-forty minutes, run off the rest of the first runnings, and sparge. This will be the Russian Imperial Stout.

Takes a little more time but gets the job done. Sounds like a fun brewday for me!

Cheers,

This year I am going to cheat the devil, no-boil partigyle style. I am doing an Imperial Green Apple Berliner Weiss that will age on toasted apple wood chips and a standard Berliner.

Back