Recharging kegerator/fridge, fixing coils, ect.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RealFloopyGuy

Reaction score
I couldn't find much actually helpful stuff while searching on the web for fixing fridges and the like. I bought a True kegerator that needs fixed. I was told it was one of the coils. I know a little about this stuff, and I already ordered some parts. I am going to cover troubleshooting it and fixing it on this thread. A new coil is about $200 or so. The goal is to repair the current coil if possible.

A few things that you might not know:

Freon doesn't leak unless there is a problem.

Most refrigerators use r134a. Refrigerant that you buy at Wal-Mart or the autoparts store to recharge your car's cooling system. Most refrigerators use less than 1 can of it.

Some leaks/breaks/accidents can be fixed by JB weld. This isn't the official way to fix them, and you won't see many techs using this technique, but it works all the same. It is more the redneck/emergency way to get things working again that you can't find parts for.

Do not use stop leak in your refrigerator. This might help in the short term, but it will destroy your system in the long term.

I will have the line taps here in a day or so, and start taking pictures ect. If anyone has any questions about their own specific problem, let me know and if I can help you I will. If I can't, a close friend of mine is a HVAC technician and I will get the answer from him.

Latest posts

Back