Recent Carbonation Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnacey

Reaction score
Hi All,

Recently I've been experiencing bottles that seem to always have excessive carbonation. I always clean my bottles after pours, leave them overnight in an OxyClean bath and then fully submerge/sanitize the bottles in my bottling bucket with a StarSan solution.

Several bottles have been gushers (haven't experienced any bombs), but almost every batch I have done recently has been excessively carbed. I've been using TastyBrew's calculator and have been generally adding 4oz of corn sugar for a 5 gallon batch. My brew are usually fermented in the mid 60s in my basement. After bottling I store them up on my top floor where the heat can get into the high 70s-80s.

Is the excessive carbonation from the storage temperature? I really doubt it is from sanitation issues or excess sugar. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx.

How long do you let the beer carb in the bottles? If opened too soon, beers can gush. Three weeks is the recommendation.

4 oz. / 5 gal sounds about right.

Are you cold crashing before bottling? If not, try it. How soon after fermentation are you bottling and with what yeast? Sugar amount seems right, if there's a ton of yeast in the bottom of the bottle or any dry hop debris, you can get a gusher as big chunks of yeast or small hop debris make nucleation sites.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. The beer is always at FG and there are no off flavors. Bottles aren't touched for at least 3 weeks if not much longer.

I don't have the ability to cold crash right now. Is there any other way to drop yeast out of suspension? Just wait longer? I usually wait like 2-3 weeks now depending on when FG is stable. This has happened with multiple yeast strains.

This does seem to happen more often with my dry-hopped beers. I always use a paint strainer though to minimize any debris.

Would the temperature at which I store my bottles (probably high 70s or higher in the summer) matter much? This has happened more recently as summer temps have increased.

Hmm...that is a bit of a stumper. I'm no expert, but I don't think that bottle conditioning temps in the 70-80 range should cause over-carbing.

Do you chill the bottles for at least 24 hours (72 is best) before opening?

Otherwise, are you sure you're getting exactly 5 gallons into the bottling bucket?

I think the lack of a cold crash could be the issue. Is the resulting beer after the gushing carbonated, or kind of flat?

Back