Really Old Chest Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirmeowsalot

Reaction score
I just picked up a really old 13' Kenmore chest freezer and it works well. My issue is I want to build a collar for it, but there is a wire attaching the lid to the body of the freezer. I can't imagine it does anything but power the light on the lid?

Does anyone know if my hunch is right? Would I be able to potentially just cut that wire without it affecting anything?

I just picked up a really old 13' Kenmore chest freezer and it works well. My issue is I want to build a collar for it, but there is a wire attaching the lid to the body of the freezer. I can't imagine it does anything but power the light on the lid?

Does anyone know if my hunch is right? Would I be able to potentially just cut that wire without it affecting anything?

If you do cut it, make sure you somehow mark what goes where assuming its a 2 pin cable.

Worst case if you cut it and something doesnt work you can solder or use twist caps to put the cable back together.

I have a similar one, it was for the light inside the freezer. Just trace it back to the area down by the compressor, my wires plugged into a connector, all I had to do was unplug it.

You guys were right it was only for the light. I was able to take apart the lid and unplug where it connected to the light.

I've just gotta figure out how to detach it down where the compressor is.

Thanks for the help!

Back