Really high OG!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UTbrewer

Reaction score
OK so I just brewed up a batch of Sweet Stout (with Lactose) and the projected OG was supossed to be 1.059 but after I added my water to get 5 gallons and aerating to wort my OG came out to 1.080. I followed the recipe from AHS so i dunno whats up. I also used a tube to get a sample from the carboy so I might have gotten more of the thicker wort from the bottom? Also would the lactose account for the higher OG as well??

You called it. You got the thicker wort from the bottom since it wasn't totally mixed. Happens all the time when you do partial boils. Especially if you're brewing with extract.

Isnt lactose added after the ferment to ADD sweetness back in?

Is this extract? If so, yah, it was probably a thick sample if you used top up water. Extract batches, if the volume is right, dont vary much on the OG.

shake it up really well and take another reading. Yes, the lactose will add to your OG...any sugars, fermentable or not, will add to the OG.

Yeah it was a mini-mash. The lactose was added along with the extract. Thanks guys!

Back