REAL Ale - Drinking from the pail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
I should keg this, but it's cold in the brewery and I'm feeling lazy. So, here's a pint of Ordinary Bitter right from the pail.

IMG_5180.JPG

That looks great! Talk about real ale.

I had a little sip from my fermenter today, too, truth be told. It's not very good, though. Just a flat American amber ale. I think your bitter looks wonderful.

I had a dream about going to a bar last night that had 7 cask beers. Now I can't get casks out of my head and am afraid a beer engine and real ale is my next brewing endeavor. The wife will not be happy.

If you look at RV equipment, there are hand pumps that are reasonably priced alternatives to beer engines.

low-boy-hand-pump.jpg

It's an Austin Homebrew OB, dead cheap.

PM
1.75 lb Maris Otter
8 oz C60L

155F /45 min.

3.5 lb Extra Pale extract

1.5 oz Fuggle @ 60
0.5 @ 5

OG 1.036 FG 1.010
Safale-04

nice. i'm currently drinking my first brew ever, it's a Bitter, NB kit.

i'll definitely try this out

If you look at RV equipment, there are hand pumps that are reasonably priced alternatives to beer engines.

low-boy-hand-pump.jpg

You're awesome. We have a popup with this same pump.....and we don't use the water system when we camp!! I wonder if swmbo would notice a big hole in our camper counter. I could totally play it off as making her more storage space :) and then hmm what to do with this old faucet/pump......

Whats the time limit for drinking a cask beer?
I'm thinkg 2-3 gallon batches. When it's 75-80% done fermenting, rack to a small vessel to serve from. The other 20-25 fermentation will give it the mild carbonation. But pumping it with that pump, how long till it's too oxidized to drink?

I have that exact PM recipe kit sitting in my primary right now. Only on day 5 so i haven't bother checking the SG.

Well, that is inspiring. I was planning to bottle a dark wheat beer tonight, but I think I'll let it hang for the weekend to drop a few more points. Maybe longer.

But I pulled a flat pint out of the primary and its a little bit of heaven.

You're awesome. We have a popup with this same pump.....and we don't use the water system when we camp!! I wonder if swmbo would notice a big hole in our camper counter. I could totally play it off as making her more storage space :) and then hmm what to do with this old faucet/pump......
I guess you didn't realize you're the proud owner of a Pop-Up Brewery...??? :D

Oh I've realized this. I'm on the lookout for a 3G corny on the cheap. It would fit nicely in one of the small cabinets that has the perfect counter space for a single tap tower right by the door :)

Back