Ready to try my own recipe.critique please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a huge fan of 30-minute hop additions - I either do 60min for bitter or 15 minute for flavor. My $0.02 below. Lower calculated IBU but it'll have better flavor and aroma. If you want to boost the IBU, increase the 60 minute weight.

boil 60 mins 1.5 Columbus pellet 15.4
boil 60 mins 1.5 Simcoe pellet 13.0
boil 15 mins 0.5 Columbus pellet 15.4
boil 15 mins 0.5 Simcoe pellet 13.0
boil 5 mins 1.0 Columbus pellet 15.4
boil 5 mins 1.0 Amarillo pellet 7.0
boil 5 min 1.0 Simcoe pellet 13.0
dry 10 days 1.0 Amarillo pellet 7.0
dry 10 days 1.0 Columbus

I think it's too much crystal, at 13%. 5-7% is more than enough, so I'd cut out the carapils and some of the 20L and/or 60L.

I'd change up the hopping, too. I'd do less hops at 60 minutes (bittering hops) and far more at 20-0 minutes (flavor and aroma hops). Like this;

boil 60 mins 1.5 Columbus pellet

boil 20 mins .75 Simcoe pellet
boil 15 mins 0.5 Columbus pellet 15.4
Boil 10 mins .75 simcoe
boil 5 mins 1.0 Columbus pellet 15.4
boil 1 mins 1.0 Amarillo pellet 7.0
Flame out- 1 oz amarillo and .5 oz simcoe
dry hop 5-7 days 1.0 Amarillo pellet 7.0
dry hop 5-7 days 1.0 Columbus

Truth be told, I don't like columbus in late additions, though, so I'd use simcoe/amarillo/cascade/citra/chinook anywhere you have columbus after 15 minutes.

My last batch had all dlme and some 60 for steeping. I was just trying to change that one up a little. Are there any other specialty grains you would add. I just like the color. It will be more ipa than anything. The reason why picked allot of bittering was to compensate for the 2 gallons of top off. I've never used Columbus hops but i can put centennial in its place for aroma. My last beer didn't have the big hop nose that i desire so I'm using much more this time. I don't want all citrus hops this time either

I'd move your 45min adds to the end of the boil. at 45mins, you're not getting any flavor/aroma so its just an underutilized bittering add. plus, the saturation point is around 100IBUs, so anything over that is kinda a waste, esp with great hops like columbus & simcoe

I was trying to compensate the bittering because of top of water.. I thought I would lose almost half the ibus. If i won't lose two much ill move them around.

Back