ready to take on an RIS - how's this look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
I am shooting for 1.100 here and roughly 100 IBU's or more, something I can age for a couple years in the bottle. I am considering oaking with bourbon soaked cubes and a vanilla bean in secondary, but I haven't decided on that yet.

what do you think of the recipe? Am I going to end up with too much dark fruit? I want coffee and roast over fruit here, so with that in mind am I on track? thanks guys.

Ingredients

13.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 60.5 %
4.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 18.6 %
1.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 7.0 %
1.00 lb CHocolate Rye (200.0 SRM) Grain 4.7 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 90L (90.0 SRM) Grain 4.7 %
1.00 lb Coffee Malt (150.0 SRM) Grain 4.7 %
1.00 oz Warrior [15.00%] (90 min) Hops 41.2 IBU
1.00 oz Magnum [14.00%] (60 min) Hops 35.9 IBU
1.75 oz Williamette [5.50%] (30 min) Hops 19.0 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (5 min) Hops 2.6 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.100 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.025 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.8 %
Bitterness: 98.7 IBU

oh, and will a few packets of S-05 do the trick (1.030-1.035 would probably be ok here) or should I do the hard work of making a gigantic starter. I don't really know what the appropriate yeast would be.....thoughts?

That recipe looks pretty solid to me. I've never used the chocolate rye before, have you? Your hops look fine, and as for yeast, if you go with us-05, make sure to rehydrate it for this beer :)
Good luck with it, and let us know how it comes out!

no, I've never used the chocolate rye either, but I'm bored with chocolate malt and it's predictable sharpness. I thought this might be a nice way to try the rye-version out and avoid the regular stuff. I haven't gone wrong with rye yet.....

Looks great! I'd skip the bourbon and vanilla myself. you've got plenty of delicious stuff in there already. I'm not that big on that stuff to begin with though.

I've used chocholate rye in an RIS and we used ~15%. I think that using only 1 lb your not going to get any rye flavor, if thats what your trying to do.

I've used chocholate rye in an RIS and we used ~15%. I think that using only 1 lb your not going to get any rye flavor, if thats what your trying to do.

Well, partly to get a little rye note, but mostly to sub something different where most recipes put the "chocolate" malt. maybe I'll add the .75 lb of flaked rye I have to this to bring out the rye a bit more......I think it's going to be plenty complex, especially after aging.

How did you like the chocolate rye?

You could oak a portion of it and leave some without. I picked up a pack of Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout, it's like 14% and aged in oak barrels used in bourbon making. It was awesome and a road I will travel when I run out of smaller ideas and have plenty of beer on hand. I think you should go for it if it sounds tasty to you because I know it agrees with my palate. It looks good, Happy Brewing!

The RIS was a group effort and one of the guys that was in on the brew really likes rye so we used it (never used rye before). After this brew, I would use it again. It added another level of complexity to the flavors thats not normally in a RIS. It was subtle, maybe bc it was a huge grain bill, and unique. I would say use it, just up the % in the grist.

If you decide on a vanilla bean in secondary, you had better use 2 to 2.5 beans or you won't get much. I've tried using one and didn't taste it at all. In my bigger brews I use 2.5 beans in secondary for just a hint of vanilla. I think the recipe looks solid. Makes me want to brew up a big RIS!

Thank you all for your advice and reassurances.......It's going to be hard to put back, but I want to age this one for a while, just to see if I can do it. I've got a large stash of brews to work through to keep me busy, and of course more brews planned all the time.....the stuff I need for this arrives today but I'm workng all weekend. I'll be brewing probably Tuesday.

I'm going to add 3/4 lb of flaked rye since I already ordered the chocolate rye, and I may up the base malt by 3-4 lbs because I have a feeling my efficiency is going to suffer with this monster....never made a beer this big before so it'll be a learning experience.

bbrim: I've had that Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, too. It was very good, but what stuck out to me the most was actually a really intense tobacco note...it tasted a little like my grandpa used to smell after a dinner party - cigars and strong liquour. In fact, when someone says tobacco note now, that beer is what I think of. I don't even remember the bourbon/vanilla much. It's a rich beer, though. very good.

Back