Ready to make the famous caramel Appel cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M12345

Reaction score
New cider maker here. Never made anything before. I've been reading in this forum for about a month. I'm jist about ready to start making the caramel Apple hard cider recipe I found on here. I have my one gallon glass jug, stopper and airlock, and yeast the home brew store suggested with nutrients in it. Still have to pick up sugar (corn sugar/dextrose right?) star San to santize snd bottling supplies for later. Any last minute advice before I dive into this next week? I'm worried about the cider going bad and pausterizing it. Should I get fresh cider that's been paisterized to be safe? I know I need to get unpreswrved, so how do I tell if it is or not?

Thanks

So far (with my three, one gallon batches) I have juiced all my own apples. I have put the juice on the stove top at a super low temp (about 120 degrees) for twenty to thirty minutes. I understand that many people completely skip this step AND skip using Camden tabs. Fearless, apparently. I wouldn't worry too much with your first batch, once you watch it ferment and fall in love with the process you will only want to learn more. My first batch was HORRIBLE, but it got me drunk!

Keep it in the fridge until you're ready to start. If it's pasteurized the label should say so. No other ingredients other than citric acid or some other vitamin C source should be there.

Fresh cider is great if the orchard uses a large variety of apples. Fresh juice prices are pretty high right now, and to be honest, make your first batch with store bought cider/juice. That way, if something goes bad, you're only out $5.00 at most.

Back