Ready, Set, Blend! 3-year old Brett amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollermt

Reaction score
I made my very first attempt at a wild/sour beer 3 years ago. It was an 66% pils extract, 33% munich extract fermented with US-05 and Brett. It dropped from 1.070 down to about 1.020. I unknowingly fermented in a plastic bucket, and thought for awhile had gotten an acetobacter infection (especially I didn't pitch any dregs with lacto). Needless to say, there are a lot of things I would do differently now but I let it sit as many people advise just in case something improves.

Checking in again today, it has a white powdery pellicle on top. I think it might be worthy of a blending experiment. The sourness is smooth and doesn't taste like vinegar. The FG gravity is pretty high for a sour though and I think that needs to go into consideration for this blend. Not only because I don't want bottle bombs but also because I want it to finish dry like a sour should typically do.

What would you blend it with? Super light/dry saison? An amber grist with a similar color/malt bill as the original? Something strong/dark to complement the current gravity? Looking for ideas.

Back