Reading fermetation temp on a plastic bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcoz

Reaction score
I've seen the strips that people put on glass carboys for fermentation temp readings, but what do people use when they use plastic buckets?

How accurate would that same strip be? Or what other ways do people do that?

Also can ferm wrap be used on a plastic bucket?

Huh? I have them and have seen them on both carboys and buckets...They work perfectly fine...

temp-strip.jpg

4122107467_1e2edf6444.jpg

It really doesn't matter what you affix it to.

Huh? I have them and have seen them on both carboys and buckets...They work perfectly fine...

temp-strip.jpg

4122107467_1e2edf6444.jpg

It really doesn't matter what you affix it to.

Only meant that (in my limited experience) the pics I've seen haven't been on anything but glass CB's.....

Thank you both...

Now, those are generally pretty accurate? any adjustments to make if you are trying to precisely control ferment temps?

They are close enough for government work. I mean they are accurate enough for what we need them for, a rough snapshot of the temp of our beer. We really don't need detailed to the millimole accuracy for brewing..We need to know 1) is our beer beer fermenting too warm.... If it is showing 80 as opposed to 81.237 degrees, it really doesn't matter.

Ill be more specific on what I'm trying to accomplish.

Ambient temps in my basement are 60-64.

I want to attempt to control temps as strictly as I can without a cooling element involved.

So if I choose a heating element and some kind of control, how accurate do you think I can be?

I would assume to be anything near accurate I would have to limit the style/recipe/yeast strain I use to a range that my ambient temps can control the cooling side of fermentation, if that makes any sense.

Revvy, where did you get those therm. strips in you're pic's? Mine are really hard to see the temp. Mine are the ones that came with my kit from Midwest.

Back