Read this before you buy from Kegkits.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys use web of trust? It's an addon for firefox. You can leave comments about websites, you can score them on safety, reliability, trustworthiness, etc. It will even flash a warning screen before you enter an un-trustworthy site.

It's not perfect as the ratings come from users, there is the potential for shills, etc. Regardless, it's a nice tool.

Internet Security | WOT Web of Trust

Ooohhh thanks Harry. I've never heard of that, but I'll definitely download it when I get home!

now i am worried, finally got my girlfriend on board to support a kegging system, she even offered to pay half. wish I read this first... i ordered last week, got an email with my reciept. but since ball locks are out of stock, i wanted to tell tom to send me pin locks. nothing, hasn't responded to emails. I think monday i am calling my CC company to get my money back and to report him to the internet crime complaint center

now i am worried, finally got my girlfriend on board to support a kegging system, she even offered to pay half. wish I read this first... i ordered last week, got an email with my reciept. but since ball locks are out of stock, i wanted to tell tom to send me pin locks. nothing, hasn't responded to emails. I think monday i am calling my CC company to get my money back and to report him to the internet crime complaint center

I'd cancel your order and get something from Kegconnection or one of the others.

Maybe get some ideas from this thread. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/best-beginner-kegging-system-around-200-a-104099/

I think monday i am calling my CC company to get my money back and to report him to the internet crime complaint center

Call today, no reason to wait. Refer you CC company to this thread if the have any questions.

here is my email to him i sent yesterday. thing i don't get is he has time to read his forum because he deleted my post regarding "Tom when will i get my order?" I'll fight this and keep you posted

Tom

As stated in my voice mail, due to your lack of communication as well as complaints on various message boards, including the forum on your own website, if I do not receive an acknowledgement by the end of this week (August 1, 2009) I will be forced to report you as a fraud to the Huntsville Alabama Police Department, The Internet Crime Complaint Center, The Better Business Bureau and will work with my attorney to find a resolve to this matter.

I would prefer it not come to this, if there is an issue with my order, inform me, we can talk about our options.

Thanks xxxx

Three weeks today and I have not heard a single word about my order. I am getting ready to book a flight...:mad:

My order finally did show up, just like a lot of you it took 4 weeks for it to ship. I will not be a return customer for sure!

chuckger, what did you order from them? I'm still waiting on the ball lock cornys I ordered in April. I filed a BBB complaint and received no response. Maybe I should start calling them again, and leaving messages that don't get returned...

Fickle

You need to dispute it with your credit card company.
If they need information on how bad this vendor is, show them this thread or the vendor's own message boards.

Just an update on my case. My state AG office told me that they were unable to get Tom to respond to any correspondence, and will be moving to the next step. They also said that due to it being an interstate, internet transaction that I should also file a claim with the Alabama AG office (already done), and the Internet Crime Complaint Center Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) | Home, which I just did. I recommend any and all customers of kegkits.com that have not received full orders to their satisfaction, do the same. Please speak out and help put a stop to the abuse.

I got an e-mail from kegkits today (mailing list) and it looks like Tom is getting out of the ingredient business. Probably too little, too late. Who would be crazy enough to buy from him again after all of the bad past experiences. It took me 2 months to get O-rings and that was only after multiple e-mails and threats to report him to my credit card company.

From the email:

"In late July / early August, we made a fundamental change in our business. We have decided to get out of the homebrew ingredients business except for Northwestern ingredients that we ship by the case and focus on all things related to kegging. This change was driven by the fact that we have been trying to do too much with too little which was causing us to ship late.

We will continue to sell & support kegerator kits, service parts, German growlers and just about everything else we sold in the past except for items like bulk grain, hops, yeast and beer kits. We will also continue selling our line of soda extracts and plan on expanding our flavor selection this year."

Just an update on my case. My state AG office told me that they were unable to get Tom to respond to any correspondence, and will be moving to the next step.

This guy seems dim. Don't respond to a state's AG office? Really? lolz

From the email:

"In late July / early August, we made a fundamental change in our business. We have decided to get out of the homebrew ingredients business except for Northwestern ingredients that we ship by the case ."

In other words, we'll only sell stuff where we take your money, then order the product and have it dropped shipped direct from distributor.

This is what I have been saying all along. I believe he floats your money to provide his cash flow to buy what your order instead of investing in inventory for customers.

Tom posted the following on one of the local club forums a couple weeks ago:
I was visited tonight by 2 members of the Huntsville Police Department.

They came by at the request of the ABC and to tell me that I can’t sell Keg Kits because it’s equipment for the manufacture of alcohol. They looked around, I explained what I did sell and they told me that I need to contact the ABC Board. The bottom line is that Pearly Gates may be able to get away with selling the stuff because it’s all “heath food” but considering what else I sell, I think it’s obvious that what I’m selling is for making beer.

So, I am suddenly very interested in getting rid of the rest of my liquid yeast and most of my grain. Any takers need to stop by Saturday.

For clarification, homebrewing is illegal in the state of Alabama. However, I'm not aware of any cases involving the police in the last decade. We had one instance where a local homebrewer got his name in an article about the backwards beer laws in the state. The article was fairly in-your-face, included names, and made it clear that the people involved were fully aware that what they were doing was illegal. The article got published in the Mobile paper, and the alcohol board left a message with the guy telling him they needed to make sure he was aware of the laws on homebrewing in the state. No police or charges filed.

The other bit in Tom's quote: Pearly Gates is a local healthfood store that has some brewing supplies as well.

Anyway, the theory is that the police involvement is based on the fact that he's been screwing customers rather than the fact that he's selling homebrew supplies, though if charges are filed, they may slap that one on him as well.

This guy is more entertaining than watching a train wreck on acid. I say stick it out tom, i need the BS you shovel to help round out my day. BTW, there is nothing like an upset constituency to get a gubmint off its ass. However the unfortunate side effect is if th Po PO involvment goes too far then his client list becomes evidence, and all on it can be charged under the RICO statute for an ongoing criminal enterprise. Not to worry tho, i dont think this guy keeps good records.

chuckger, what did you order from them? I'm still waiting on the ball lock cornys I ordered in April. I filed a BBB complaint and received no response. Maybe I should start calling them again, and leaving messages that don't get returned...

Fickle

All I ordered was a bag of caps, and digital scale, it took a month to box up these three items and send them out. Its just plain rediculous!! Good luck getting your kegs, I hope he finally does right by you.

This thread needs to be bumped! Support some of the vendors that are members of this site instead. As many others have said the shipping delays are terrible. I got this email after I ordered. If only they would tell you about these things before you order.

Thank you for your order.

Our goal is to ship most items within 3 business days but we are a small business and are buried with orders. Currently, most orders are shipping in 2 weeks and we are working 7 days / week to catch up.

If you selected UPS Ground then we will send your tracking number to the email you entered into our system. The email will come from Quantum View.

Feel free to email us with any questions concerning your purchase. Questions and feedback are always welcome.

If you're so "burried with orders" why the hell can't you afford to staff more people? Obivously a business that is "burried with orders" is bringing in enough revenue to justify adding more staff.

Please do yourselves a favor and DO NOT order from kegkits.com !!!!

Their customer service is poor as they do not answer the phone EVER or return emails.

I like to try different companies and I WILL NOT be a repeat customer. Even if he was the last damn homebrew supplier on the face of the planet.

Buried with orders and we'll get to shipping your order in 2 WEEKS!!!!!!!!!

I expect in stock stuff to ship next day and get an email with tracking number too.

Do I expect too much? I don't think so since orders from Williams Brewing, Northern Brewer, and Morebeer do this every time.

To keep this thread bumped I will mention a contrasting experience. I ordered from Keg Connection in TX a few weeks back. I ordered a reg and some hose assemblies. Ordered on Tuesday, received on Friday. Order picked and packed perfectly.

Decided to shoot the moon and order all of the equipment for a three Perlick setup. Ordered on Tuesday, received on Friday, he shipped it for free. Everything was perfect again.

I am not gloating but I did want to give him credit where credit was due. He, (Terry) deserves a big thumbs up.

Buried with orders and we'll get to shipping your order in 2 WEEKS!!!!!!!!!

I expect in stock stuff to ship next day and get an email with tracking number too.

I wouldn't mind having to wait 2 weeks as long as told at time of order. But would absolutely expect that my credit card not be charged until shipped.

Without a doubt...NEVER AGAIN will I order anything from Kegkits.com.

I waited over a month...and I got about half my order, with no explanation. Tried multiple emails...phone messages. Finally, got a reply... and at the end I figured he would sent the stuff right out. Nope...another week passed...and I wrote him to cancel the order. No reply.

After 42 days...I finally had to grieve it with DiscoverCard... The Credit card company did a fantastic job. They let me upload information...as to what I received, vs what I was missing...and reimbursed me for the stuff that I was missing...so I didn't have to send the partial order back.

He's without hope.

huge bummer... he had some stuff that i really wanted to buy, now i'm glad i didn't take the plunge and place an order.

I also did likewise and ordered a taprite dual body regulator and 30 ft of beverage tubing from Keg Connection. EXCELLENT ordering process, and similar to dontman, ordered monday, received thursday to MA.:rockin:

To keep this thread bumped I will mention a contrasting experience. I ordered from Keg Connection in TX a few weeks back. I ordered a reg and some hose assemblies. Ordered on Tuesday, received on Friday. Order picked and packed perfectly.

Decided to shoot the moon and order all of the equipment for a three Perlick setup. Ordered on Tuesday, received on Friday, he shipped it for free. Everything was perfect again.

I am not gloating but I did want to give him credit where credit was due. He, (Terry) deserves a big thumbs up.

I ordered something the 21st of September. I got an email stating that they were swamped with orders, and that the order would ship not before 2 weeks had passed. I mailed Tom to see if it could be shipped sooner, since I need the equipment to be there in time for a festival. I basically mailed him three times and did not get anything back from him. To both accounts. I called him 10 times and left a vpicemail. Look, I dont care if it comes too late, I will figure something out. But at least call back or just shoot an email, this is a little weird.

I filed a complaint with my credit card company and got a refund almost immediately. I'd suggest that anyone else with a complaint do the same. This guy defines bad business practices.

Pretty dumb when people know about the issue and still place orders... can't help it, but that's your own fault then.

Pretty dumb when people know about the issue and still place orders... can't help it, but that's your own fault then.

I'm guessing there are still a few people out there who don't know. This thread is the number three link on Google, but how many people read down that far.

I'm guessing there are still a few people out there who don't know. This thread is the number three link on Google, but how many people read down that far.

Clearly we need to post more! :D Actually, I have NO experience with KegKits.com, but this thread has pretty much convinced me to order my kegging equipment, hopefully in the next couple of months, from kegconnection.com!

Clearly we need to post more! :D Actually, I have NO experience with KegKits.com, but this thread has pretty much convinced me to order my kegging equipment, hopefully in the next couple of months, from kegconnection.com!

Its just sad, the guy probably just works his ass off. But just reply to emails, that is sort of essential in running a business.

Its just sad, the guy probably just works his ass off. But just reply to emails, that is sort of essential in running a business.

When there are dozens of people who never receive product and are forced to get recompense from their cc company this is not simply being overworked.

Another side to look at. It is just as profitable for an online store to take orders and never ship a thing if only three of 10 people never get a refund from their credit card.

I knew my order was never going to ship and I still placed an order. Of course I did not know this... cancelled my order though, fired another email into the black hole abyss that is Tom his inbox. Filed a claim too.

jaapie: This wasn't neccessarily targeted at you, more like in general. There are plenty of people posting who 1) NEVER have even ordered at kegkits (yes I have twice and had to wait about 4 weeks both times) and 2) who know what's going on and still order.
Oh well :mug:

jaapie: This wasn't neccessarily targeted at you, more like in general. There are plenty of people posting who 1) NEVER have even ordered at kegkits (yes I have twice and had to wait about 4 weeks both times) and 2) who know what's going on and still order.
Oh well :mug:

I also did not mean to come off like that, sorry about that. Anyways, I talked to the owner, and he told me he was really busy and he never ripped anyone off. He felt bad about the negative press. He and his son are working in the company he said, and he gets a lot of orders lately. I think it would be good if he would put on his website that orders could take long, that might help.

My order wasn't complete, I was missing dip tube o-rings for the keg rebuild kits. I was so happy to finally get the rest of my order that I didn't bother with anything more than an email to Tom telling him my order was incomplete. I ordered 100 of each o-ring from McMaster-Carr and washed my hands of KegKits.

He says he is getting a lot of orders recently??? I started this thread a year and a half ago and he is STILL jerking folks around...

add me to the list of people that should have done my homework before ordering from kegkits.com. Have been wainting 6 weeks and getting no responses to emails or phone calls. I even got banned from his forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back