Re-Using Yeast and Lacto

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morkin

Reaction score
My Berliner Weisse is done and am going to Keg it. Would I be able to reuse the lacto/yeast and repitch into say a Gose? I'd like to make a Gose as well, and this would be nice in not having to make a new lacto starter! Thoughts?

Yup.
The only issue is not being able to control the sourness by first pitching the lacto then the yeast. You are basically at the will of the combination that you currently have.

It will be less sour since they are competing with each other. But it should give you a good tart flavor at least which is to the Gose style.

I did this very same thing yesterday... Looking forward to the results. The lag time was a big long, but this morning, there was a nice thick head of krausen.
The BW had a nice tartness to it. I'm hoping it will develop more in the bottle. We'll see how the gose turns out.

Yup.
The only issue is not being able to control the sourness by first pitching the lacto then the yeast. You are basically at the will of the combination that you currently have.

This has more to do with controlling the ratio of lacto/sacc than it does with timing.

The sacc will out produce the lacto, especially at the lower temps and as Almighty said, you will have have diminished sourness from the batch you harvested the bugs from.

Well, there is really two ways to control the sourness. And I prefer the timing method because it has more control (i.e. taste as you go).

Pitching Lacto first then Sacc
Advantages
- Precise control of sourness, you can have the wort up at 100-120F and taste until you like the level of sour (this can also be done at room temperature).
-No need for a big lacto starter (No planning ahead or extra $)

Pitching the right Ratio of Lacto to Sacc
Advantages
- One pitch

Bensiff is there a reason you think using the Ratio method works better?
What ratio do you use? (Do you have a scale you know from experience that 4:1 - high sour, 3:1 mild, 2:1 tart..)
And how do you make sure you have the right ratio?

Using a ratio keeps things mathmatical for me and speeds up the process, I do a starter at 98 degrees a few days ahead of time and then pitch it with a pack of yeast to make a BW, within a week I'm bottling. I can heat up the bottles while it carbs to increase sourness. Unfortunately I haven't made enough BW's to know a ratio. Much of what I do is based off Kris Englands recommendations...he know's way the hell more than I do on BW's so I use his experience to drive my methodology.

Back