Re-use White Labs WLP775 English Cider Yeast Bed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxtpower

Reaction score
Hi,

I just pitched White Labs WLP775 English Cider Yeast for 5 gallon batch. It is my first time using the yeast and it's my second batch of cider.

On the White Labs website, it states you can re-use the yeast:
https://www.whitelabs.com/beer/cider

What's the best way?

Pour another 5 gallons of apple juice in the bucket after I rack the current 5 gallons?

Thanks everyone for their input.

Cheers.
:mug:
Max

Hi,

I just pitched White Labs WLP775 English Cider Yeast for 5 gallon batch. It is my first time using the yeast and it's my second batch of cider.

On the White Labs website, it states you can re-use the yeast:
https://www.whitelabs.com/beer/cider

What's the best way?

Pour another 5 gallons of apple juice in the bucket after I rack the current 5 gallons?

Thanks everyone for their input.

Cheers.
:mug:
Max

I just dumped another 5 gallons right into the fermenter. If you are going to rack and crash it at a desired SG then you need to watch close, it will happen very, very fast.

This a vid of the cider I did back in Novemeber. Racked, crashed and kegged at 1.026
Semi dry and smooth with a wonderful fruity/apple flavor and bubbles like champagne. Got another carbon of the same just sitting in the fridge waiting.
Best I have ever made. Saved the yeast and hope to make a starter with it.

View attachment trim.4F2280DC-303F-45E1-83B6-B449B3A9D6AB.MOV

You should be fine as long as you reuse the yeast before it gets too much exposure to the ambient air. Don't let it sit in the bottom of an empty fermentor for a day. Either wash is a bit or if you are using a new blend of juice or if using the same type of juice you can just directly repitch. I normally pour the slurry into a 32oz container and wash the Carboy or bucket to get any hard dried crud off the top or edges, refill with juice and then pour the slurry back. Remember you have much, MUCH more active yeast though, and they will tear through the new juice a lot faster than the first round

Latest posts

Back