Re-racked clear cider, few days later it isn't clear anymore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmpower

Reaction score
I had a cider that had just cleared up, with quite a bit of sludge on the bottom. So I re-racket it into another carboy for some aging, being careful not to siphon any of the sediment on the bottom. Next day the cider was still "read a newspaper though it" clear, but now a few days later it is cloudy again. I did add a little bit of new juice when i re-racked to bring it up to the top of the carboy, but no more than 12oz.

I just took a sample and it still tastes good/the same, but I am wondering why this has happened and obviously I'm worried about infection.

Also, cider was at 1.000 when re-racked

The new juice restarted fermentation, racking helped get some yeast back in suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yep it seems so, weird because I did the cranberry at the same time and it stayed clear as ever.

But I can read the better bottle logo through it so it should be ready in time for the 4th!

People sometimes have difficulty getting high acid juice to ferment, maybe the case with your cranberry addition?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Adding more juice would start up fermentation, clouding up the cider again.
Next time, use some finished cider or apple wine or other white wine, or rack to a smaller carboy, so that the cider can finish and clear. It will restart fermentation with each addition of new fermentables.

I like to make weird sized batches, just to have more for topping up. I make 5.5 gallon batches, as an example, so I have 5 gallons in the carboy in secondary, and then top up with a finished cider when I have racking losses. The key is to have some finished cider first, of course! :D

Yeah I thought about using some old cider, thought it cleared up pretty quickly so I don't know if its really an issue.

I have had trouble fermenting my cran-rasberry in the past, well not trouble necessarily but it just takes 2-3 months every time. That was with montrachet yeast and I just tried nottinham for the first time and it was a lot quicker. It seems clearer as well as I can clearly see the outline of my hand through the 6 gallon carboy (of the cran-rasberry).

Back