Re-rack or not to re-rack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GST

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I had to rack my cider into a smaller primary 5l fermenter at SG 1.3, there is approx 3/4 liter head room, its fermenting nicely and I have a bit of mush at the top,

1. should I re-rack into another carboy now that the SG has dropped to 1.1 or will I leave it.

2. Assuming that I will have the same 3/4-1liter headroom in the new carboy do I need to top it up to avoid oxidization ?

3. If I have to top it up what do I use,

thanks

I wouldn't rack it. Also I would top off with more apple juice. What recipe did you use? Why is there head space? When I make cider, I top it off to the neck of the carboy and leave it. I bulk age my ciders.

what scale are you using for your gravity readings, is that brix? or do you mean 1.003?? clarify
i also would top it up with some apple juice regardless, and leave it until it clears

Thanks for the replies,

I'm making perry so I'll assume pear juice - would the sugar not reenvigorate the fermentation - its slowed down now so I'd like to move it to storage,

Headroom - basically i iused all the pears i had but there was alot of scum/mush at the top of the fermentor I left this when I transferred it to the smaller fermentor

Update - I've uploaded some pictures for clarifications, SG was 1.03 when I racked,

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

Definitely top that off with more pear juice. Yes fermentation will continue for awhile longer. Cider or Peary is not a fast process. Next time, imho, leave it in primary until it is totally finished fermenting. Mush, fruit, whatever, wont hurt the flavors.

Latest posts

Back