Re carbing flat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digphish

Reaction score
So I haven't been drinking my kegged beer lately ('gone gluten free), and recently tried to pull a pint only to find that my CO2 is out. I am not sure if there was a leak in the kegs or not, but both were flat and had no head pressure. So I got my tank refilled and want to quick carb the beer that is left. I estimate that one keg has 2.5G, and the other about 1 Gallon left. Would you advise that I follow the normal chart for carbing or do I have to compensate somehow for the large amount of headspace?

Thanks in advance

the large head space will more rapidly carb the beer. You still want to set it to the desired psi, i.e. 12. This larger volume of gas will force the Co2 into solution faster but I am pretty sure the psi is the same.

Thanks for the reply. If I want the beer carbed by tomorrow night, would you recommend setting it to the desired psi and shaking the keg? Or would you say the beer will carb fast enough that I wouldn't have to?

I don't know If I would rush that beer. It's been conditioning all this time and probably as clear as a bell. I doubt it would be ready by tomorrow night but I have never carbed that volume in a 5 gallon corny. Screw it, shake the 2.5 gallons and not the other one.

Back