Raspberry wheat FIX!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norwaybrewer

Reaction score
After a month in the fermenter, gravity is stuck at 1.020 down from 1.045.

This is a 19 liter milestone kit that i made with 16 liters.

The beer has been at around 19 degrees celsius all the time.

I had no idea what to do, so i added 200 grams of boiled DME, stirred and now i am hoping for the best.

3,3 % is not enough, especially considering that i took 3 liters of water out of the recipe hoping for a thicker, stronger beer.

What would you have done in this situation??

Thank you in advance

I stirred it up and added some dme soup and now there is good airlock activity. Hoping for it to drop below 1.01 at least

Have you tasted it?

I don't think that adding more DME will reduce your FG. Manufacturers use some crystal when making DME and it ends up only being about a maximum of 80% fermentable, but often less. If you really want it to ferment to a lower FG, you'll have to add something fully- (or nearly fully) fermentable. Examples include corn sugar, honey, maple syrup, etc. But keep in mind that these will reduce the body of the beer making it thinner. That's why I asked if you tasted it. Granted, the taste now will be considerably different from the cold, carbed taste of the final product.

Tasted it! its very (very thick) for a summer style wheat ale, as i took out lots of water from the recipe.almost too thick

Nooooo!

Gravity reading today, still 1.020!!

What can i do to fix this? It`s supposed to reach 1.006...

It`s been in the primary for a month now.

Repitch yeast?

Repitching the same yeast probably won't help any. When you added the additional DME soup the airlock started bubbling again so that tells me that your yeast is working fine but it can't get below 1.020 for some reason. Have you looked at the specs for the yeast you are using?

No i havent, i just used the one from the kit. Should i repitch with a "better" yeast?

1 you can't just take a "20% risk that the yeast wont help me all the way to fg" that's your first problem.
2 you should put all your replays to the post you have already made here...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/just-got-two-new-high-end-kits-461906/

3 this appears to be a common problem with the yeast
my only experience with munton's yeast was a too-sweet beer. it ended at 1.020 instead of 1.012 as expected. i wouldn't use it.

get some real yeast like everyone was recommending and pitch it.

Start by figuring out what yeast you used first and what it's capabilities are. Was your starting gravity actual measured at 1.045 or is that just what the kit said? Did you do your temperature adjustments?

Get a packet of Safale 05 and toss her in. A pretty neutral, yet hard working yeast. It'll get you where your going for 3 bucks.

And for gosh sakes, hurry up before you get an infection.

Have you left to get that yeast yet?

Ok, so I got a safale 05 and threw it in. Now after 48 hours i am down 0.002 to 1.018-1.017.
also got some yeast nutrition and threw it in there. I have airlock activity, like twenty quiet bubbles in a row and then five minutes in between each cycle.

Azndrgn, i measured the gravity to 1.045 and it should have been 1.039 and three more litres according to instructions. I did temperature adjustments, but they really dont make that much of a difference, though.

I just plotted my data into a calc, and it says two very interesting things:

1. my gravity is supposed to be well over 1.055, even subtracting the 0.2 kg of dme i added.

I measured 1.045 in 23 celsius wort... maybe it wasnt mixed properly.

2. My final gravity is actually calculated to be just where i am at now (given 72% attenuation).

Could this mean that my batch is finished?? I think i will just add the raspberry flavour and bottle this baby after 6-7 weeks in th fermenter...

1398500983349.jpg

bottled it today! found some mold between the lid and the tank, but i hope that nonee of it is in the beer.

The beer seems thick and has some alcohol smell to it, but i hope it wont turn out too bad.

will report when i crack one open!

This is what im talking about. This is the last beer i bottled. Does this resemble mold to you??

It looks like a little worm of light/greenish colour. Waaa

1398894498632.jpg

It is very very hard to say like this! Looks like shaking bubbles to me...

I would keep an eye on these bottles. Let's say the fermentation finishes a bit more in there, you might have quite a surprise ;)

The bubbles are from my shaking, to get a visual of that little wormish substance you can see in the mid left in the bottle here.

But i will keep an eye on these.. pretty much priming sugar too, 190 gr table sugar for 16 litres

Back