Rasing the ABV using everclear ...??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willee

Reaction score
My latest batch of beer figures out to be 3.54% ABV ... would like it to be around 5%.
1.055 SG - 1.028 FG (two weeks in fermenter - Kolsh yeast)
Cant go back and re-brew and realize I need to make changes to the grain bill for the next time.

But as for this batch ...
If I figured correctly 6.4 oz of pure alcohol will raise the 5 gal batch by 1% ABV.
EverClear is 190 proof which is about as close to pure that is available.
So by adding 7oz of Everclear to the batch the ABV should rase from 3.54% to somewhere around 4.54%.

Am I thinking correctly and how do you think it will effect the beer flavor.

I guess I could calculate and add a small amount of EverClear to a glass of the finished beer to see what effect on taste it has before spoiling the whole 5 gal.

Some Kolsch yeasts will slow down fermentation then finish out, a bit more time in the fermenter may have dropped the FG some more. 1.028 seems more like an incomplete fermentation rather than a problem with a grain bill. Can you post that? Also, what was your mash temp?

The ABV adjustment looks about right, there's some dilution calculators online that you could double check it with if you haven't already. I haven't upped the ABV with Everclear before, but I don't think it would impact the flavor much.

My latest batch of beer figures out to be 3.54% ABV ... would like it to be around 5%.
1.055 SG - 1.028 FG (two weeks in fermenter - Kolsh yeast)

Are you using a refractometer, and if so, did you use a refractometer calculator to adjust the readings?

Agreed - be sure your final gravity is correct, may not be.

Definitely try a little in a glass of beer before commiting the keg. Or just have both side by side!

Are you using a refractometer, and if so, did you use a refractometer calculator to adjust the readings?
OH MY ... I just today transferred batch #3 to the keg and had a bit of it in a small container.
I let it sit for a while to settle out and checked it with a glass Hydrometer and it read 1.010 FG.
Not the 1.028 reading my refractometer was giving me.
Checking the refractometer in water it reads 1.000 so I dont really know what is going on with it.
The other batch already was pressurized and a bit carbonated so I cant check that one but I will do taste testing before I add anything.
Thank you so much for the heads up on this.

I let it sit for a while to settle out and checked it with a glass Hydrometer and it read 1.010 FG.
Not the 1.028 reading my refractometer was giving me.
Checking the refractometer in water it reads 1.000 so I dont really know what is going on with it.

There's nothing wrong with your refractometer. You need to use a refractometer calculator to adjust wort/beer readings.

The refractometer is usually "close enough" PRIOR to fermentation, but cannot be counted on for an accurate gravity reading after fermentation has commenced. So, rely on your hydrometer for gravity readings after pitching. Simple rule that will avoid headaches.

Refractometers work just as the name stated, measure light retraction through a sugar solution. Once there is alcohol in the solution it throws everything off. You then must use your OG against your reading to find the corrected number. Also have you tasted Everclear, even with its multiple distillations it still tastes horrible.

Latest posts

Back