Rapt Pill: Fahrenheit no Work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I decided to try my Rapt Pill. Setup is a nightmare. The manual is pretty sad.

Anyway, I got it running. Now I can't get the temperature to display in Fahrenheit. There is a setting for it, and I used it, but it lists the wort temperature as 29, which is pretty cool for wort in America.

Can this thing be made to do what it says it does?

I've had issues with the cloud portal that it sometimes will report Fahrenheit as Celsius but still have the Fahrenheit tag. It sometimes corrects itself when you leave and comeback. They've had weird issues with the cloud app. Doesn't seem to prevent me from getting the information I need. Though some figuring out of what's wrong is needed.

Though admittedly, 29C is pretty hot too! 29C = 84F

Its trying to get all you guys onto a logical temperature scale. 🤣🤣🤣

It's 230 years too late for that. It is nothing short of amazing that the US held onto a crippling, stupid measurement system. Tragic. I have no idea how we got to the moon with it. My guess is that the scientists and engineers used metric, just as they do in universities and labs.

Of course, England hasn't completely gotten it together, either.

I dug out my old extender and set it up with 2.4 and 5.6 networks with the same name and password as my main network. Hoping the Pill will wake up and connect to them. No idea whether it will work. I guess I need a super-strong access point.

I have no idea where people are getting graphs of their fermentations using this device. I have never seen anything like that in the app.

I dug out my old extender and set it up with 2.4 and 5.6 networks with the same name and password as my main network. Hoping the Pill will wake up and connect to them. No idea whether it will work. I guess I need a super-strong access point.

I have no idea where people are getting graphs of their fermentations using this device. I have never seen anything like that in the app.
Really? Here's my last fermentation, kegged about a week ago. It was fermented an a plastic Speidel fermenter.

Screenshot from 2023-10-03 09-42-06.jpg

It's 230 years too late for that. It is nothing short of amazing that the US held onto a crippling, stupid measurement system. Tragic. I have no idea how we got to the moon with it. My guess is that the scientists and engineers used metric, just as they do in universities and labs.

Of course, England hasn't completely gotten it together, either.
Temperature we have but we still use miles, feet and inches and for our own weight stones.

Do you get that as soon as you go click on the Pill's name?
There's been a recent update to the web portal that allows you to show or hide any devices. Since I have two Pills, but so far have only used one at a time, I hide the one I'm not using.

On the left under Equipment>Devices click on your Pill and make sure the box "show on dashboard" is checked. Once it is click on the Dashboard from the left menu, it should only show the one pill you marked as show on dashboard. Then click on the double-down arrow (here on mine it shows the last few beers I've fermented). Click on the magnifying glass of your current fermentation and the graph should appear.

Thanks. I think I'm pretty well up the creek, though. Maybe I can make it work on the next batch.

I will probably just blow it off and go back to the refractometer. This device is half-baked.

Thanks. I think I'm pretty well up the creek, though. Maybe I can make it work on the next batch.

I will probably just blow it off and go back to the refractometer. This device is half-baked.
Advice - after this batch pull out your Pill, clean it, open it up and remove the battery for a few hours, (**note the polarity). Replace the battery and charge it 24 hours, or at least overnight. Use a black Sharpie to mark the closed position so you always close it to the same point every time - Then do a calibration for gravity and temperature.

Mine was acting kind of weird until I followed the procedure above. It's rock-solid now.

Bottom line though, it's unlikely you're going to get a strong enough signal through the ss fermenter and the fridge unless you take other actions mentioned upthread.

** Test with water until you're satisfied or decide to can it.**

I don't find their cloud app very intuitive. Maybe it is for youngsters or people down under.

I had to click around on everything to figure out what does what. I still haven't figured out why sometimes I return to the app and find the graph open and other times I have to open it. Maybe bad programming has session cookies in the browser holding on to things randomly.

I don't have anything going right now so I can't really check without finding my pill and waking it up. When it's horizontal, it'll sleep forever. If it get's bumped or is not horizontal, it'll make the reports at the intervals set, whether it's in beer or not.

I used it to see if my house was getting warm early in the morning instead of being at the temp the thermostat was set for. Just set the pill in small glass to hold it vertical.

Turns out it's me that for some reason just gets hot at a certain time in the morning. The house maintains the set temp all night long.

That's a really nice way of saying Kegland laid an egg.
I don't agree, at least to some extent as I think there's still room for improvement. But I feel mine is working fine when it comes to monitoring fermentation progress and temperature. Or to put it another way, I am much happier using it than not using it and will continue to use it. I have confidence in the visual evidence letting me know how fermentation is progressing and when it is complete, without having to take unnecessary hydrometer readings.

Latest posts

Back