Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's Spring. My hops are freaking sprouting. That means Spring.
Why have some trees held onto leaves all through winter.
I am done raking.
Like months ago.

IMG-5805.JPG

Because my last post was deleted for my distaste in everyday incompetence everyone remain calm there is plenty of bread the bread guys are getting the job done
View attachment 674654

Correct. Sometimes a piercing, obvious statement is all what is needed to draw attention to promote real, not fake reports....such as a run on bread. Though, one must evaluate the fake reports to determine if they are real or not....

Almost 50 years ago I was compelled to learn how to write programs in Ansi Standard Cobol (among other languages). Suddenly, similar ancients are in high demand because idiots that run things never ported their critical financial programs into languages that are actually current...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/08/business/coronavirus-cobol-programmers-new-jersey-trnd/index.html

Looks like a Honeywell rig...

200408114904-mainframe-computer-1960-exlarge-169.jpg

Sounds like you may have about 10 years on me. I remember the days of FORTRAN and COBOL. Shocking that such a large percentage of systems are still using COBOL.

Not shocked at all. "If it works, and costs money to change, why upgrade" is the mantra I've run into my entire life. Then came a couple business downturns and recessions, and upper mgmt found they could reduce payroll and increase profit using "we just have to tighten our belts, work smarter not harder, and suck it up." Anyway. Back on topic. During these work at home times, I need to cut back on eating, so I'll only have 1 pancake for breakfast.
upload_2020-4-9_7-58-49.png

Not shocked at all. "If it works, and costs money to change, why upgrade" is the mantra I've run into my entire life. Then came a couple business downturns and recessions, and upper mgmt found they could reduce payroll and increase profit using "we just have to tighten our belts, work smarter not harder, and suck it up." Anyway. Back on topic. During these work at home times, I need to cut back on eating, so I'll only have 1 pancake for breakfast.
View attachment 674886

Did that work?

Almost 50 years ago I was compelled to learn how to write programs in Ansi Standard Cobol (among other languages). Suddenly, similar ancients are in high demand because idiots that run things never ported their critical financial programs into languages that are actually current...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/08/business/coronavirus-cobol-programmers-new-jersey-trnd/index.html

Looks like a Honeywell rig...

200408114904-mainframe-computer-1960-exlarge-169.jpg

I have been at it since '91. I remember buying this for an old boss https://www.amazon.com/Learn-Save-Y...ve+your+job+c+for+cobol&qid=1586436442&sr=8-1

This probably should go in the Coronavirus thread but more folks will see it here.

My wife, who is 70, is one of the younger members of a local quilters club. One of her friends, a woman named Mary, just turned 90. Mary sort of adopted my wife after her own daughter passed away from a genetic disorder 7 or 8 years ago. Mary calls and/or emails my wife several times a day.

Earlier this evening, Mary emailed my wife a video clip of a woman demonstrating how to turn a pair of men’s boxer briefs into a face mask. Then she called my wife to tell her that she was going to try to do the same thing with a pair of her husband’s tighty-whities, and would send her a picture of the results.

1E7C908E-C451-48C5-B1D9-1EF8470EFC20.jpeg

You have to hand it to someone who has come to terms with growing old, as long as that doesn’t involve growing up. :cool:

There's something comforting about fermenting beer...

View attachment 674947

[Uber poopy pic courtesy of the GS4 in my brewery that's really there to play my music library through a BT boom box. Every time I use the old thing it points out how amazingly far cell phone camera tech has progressed...]

sooooo....it is fermenting, but you've already put the ABV% on the label? Past experience or soothsaying prescience?

Past experience - this is the second batch using the same recipe and methods.
I hit all the good numbers the first time and so far this time, so expectations are for the same outcome...

Cheers!

I do almost the same thing. I don't do a final reading, if my 6% beer ends up 5.8% or 6.1% it does not matter, it is still beer.

View attachment 675083 Archeological abandoned beer site, beers were found in a few catches. Were the lost in snow during outdoor beverage session? Perhaps skunked or previously frozen ones saved for slug bait?

For sure they have some kick left, as otherwise they would have frozen and broke.

Well, those Carlsbergs are definitely probably not the best beer in the world anymore.

Of course the ***** is we can't be in the same place with the little dude.
Made me cranky thinking about it this morning so I decided to create a little artwork.

I call this piece: "Homelite. Deconstructed."

homelite_deconstructed_sm.jpg

The installation can be found in my trash bin at the end of the drive...

Cheers! (...and that long dead whacker has gone to a better place :))

The other day: we left the house. We traveled to a different state. We drove into the hills. Along a mountain stream. & it snowed a little

We didn't get out of the car

View attachment 675240

If I leave the farm, I can be in another country in less than half an hour. Another state? Four hours, minimum. I live in the middle of a really big state.

Back