Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes I weep for the human race.

1691064764191.png

Sometimes I weep for the human race.

View attachment 826298

I teach shop to juniors and seniors in a rather prestigious and academically rigorous school. Some struggle with ruler math. 5/8 + 3/16 kind of stuff. Same students are doing perfectly well in their precalculus.

I believe there is a large disconnect between the theoretical math they learn in school and the practical math they need every day. It's the same stuff, but they aren't taught it in a way that makes it clear. Learn it for the test, then it's gone.

I majored in math. took pretty much every math class offered at the local community college.

what I suck at is arithmetic. I can "make change" in my head, but beyond that, I need a calculator.

I have a chuckle thinking about my late 70s math teacher telling us "you won't always have a calculator!" while I'm holding a device that can communicate globally in real time, take photos of my food & has access to the total sum of human knowledge

& has a calculator
Screenshot_20230803_084219_One UI Home.jpg

"you won't always have a calculator!"
Pffsh!
Calculators weren't even around when I was in high school. We were even trying to build our own using all this newfangled digital electronics becoming more and more available.

But you really want to teach fractions?
Make 'em apprentice with a cabinet maker.

Or a lab chemist perhaps.

Not sure where else to drop this. Interesting read....

True?
358103560_762781128978981_4365051696153691174_n.jpg

The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That's an exceedingly odd number. Why was that gauge used? Well, because that's the way they built them in England, and English engineers designed the first US railroads. Why did the English build them like that? Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the wagon tramways, and that's the gauge they used. So, why did 'they' use that gauge then? Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they had used for building wagons, which used that same wheel spacing. Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing? Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break more often on some of the old, long distance roads in England . You see, that's the spacing of the wheel ruts. So who built those old rutted roads? Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (including England ) for their legions. Those roads have been used ever since. And what about the ruts in the roads? Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match or run the risk of destroying their wagon wheels. Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome , they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing. Therefore the United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot. Bureaucracies live forever. So the next time you are handed a specification/procedure/process and wonder 'What horse's azz came up with this?', you may be exactly right. Imperial Roman army chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the rear ends of two war horses. (Two horses' azzes.)  Now, the twist to the story: When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs. The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah . The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site. The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains, and the SRBs had to fit through that tunnel. The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses' behinds. So, a major Space Shuttle design feature, of what is arguably the world's most advanced transportation system, was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a horse's azz. And you thought being a horse's azz wasn't important? Ancient horse's azzes control almost everything.

And by the power of Grayskull.
"Power rice gun!!"
- When my son was a toddler he and his toddler friend used to run around the the house yelling "power rice gun!!" It left me shaking my head in confusion. It took a couple weeks but I finally figured out they had misunderstood, "By the power of Grayskull" with the above phrase after watching the He-Man cartoon.

The Blue Angels are performing in Billings this weekend. My SIL is an A&P/IA and manages one of the aircraft maintenance shops at KBIL. So, he has access to the ramp and gets to be around the activities when there are special events going on at the airport.

This morning, before the airshow started, he took his oldest son, who’s 8, to the airport with him and Patrick got to make the rounds of the airshow performers, including some of the Blues.

You might be cool, but not as cool as my 8 yo grandson posing with some of the Blue Angels jets.
1DF25489-A068-4D2B-AC7D-6BBA705CBE8A.jpeg

944B0F8E-E45A-4851-A201-9033EB1A6690.jpeg

Back