Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep.
That's me.

1688822221635.png

In 1998 my brother and I "dinned and dashed" from this table at Timberline Lodged. We did but want to but the waiter did not come back and the bartender did not want to take our money. It was maybe $10 for a couple pints. I was at Timberline yesterday and had to visit the sight of my crime. View attachment 824157
Overlook Hotel

jams made the past few weeks

1689010132555.png

(L-R)
Rainier sweet cherry
Apricot
Benton sweet cherry (similar to Bing)
Strawberry

Strawberry has been the most challenging in that it really foams up during both boils (without and then with added sugar) Finally got this resolved by adding 1/2C water and 1/4tsp butter to the 'with sugar added' boil. The combo of slightly more moisture plus the fat oil tamed the foaming down to where it behaved more like the cherry and apricot jam boils, with light foam skimming prior to ladling into the hot jars.

I also started adding 1/8 - 1/4tsp of table salt per batch to reduce the perceived sweetness while keeping the needed sugar amounts for proper preservation/storage. the small quantity of salt isn't detectable to my low sodium diet taste, but it really cut the overpowering sweetness on the apricots and strawberries

Can't wait to see the pics of the grands attacking the crustaceans.
To their credit they were both genuinely curious - but they've been that way all week. We took them to a friend's chunk of an Easton beach loaded with small tidal pools yesterday and they went nuts trying to catch the tiny crabs and minnows.

But...that's it. They had my wife's spaghetti and were in bed before the dining mayhem began 😁

And OMG the lobstahs were tasty! Pricey AF but worth it at least once per summer...

Cheers!

Back