Ranco Temperature Controller Failure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aredling

Reaction score
Has anyone had one of these fail on them?

I purchased a chest freezer about 5 years ago that already had the conversion done using the Ranco ETC111.

I had no problems with this in the past 5 years and all of a sudden (well in the last 2 months) the unit failed. I didn't notice this as I haven't drank any homebrew from the keezer in 2 months. Went to open the thing last week and it was pretty nasty in there.

Setting on the Ranco was for 38, but the probe read 52. I removed all the beer, unplugged the freezer from Ranco and into the wall and the compressor kicked on within a minute.

When I have the freezer plugged into the Ranco the light is on the freezer but the compressor doesn't kick on.

Any ideas?

Check to be sure the wires connections are tight. I had the common come loose in one of mine.

I've had one ranco go bad Acted like it was the memory. It would work a few degrees above and below a certain range but gave an error when set to mid 30s to 40 F

Unfortunately the wrong thing is toast.

Looks the keezer is on it's way out.

Been plugged into the wall for 24 hours and is still parked at 48 F. I guess it's going to turn into a fermentation chamber now.

:(

Back