Ranco is at 30 beer is at 42 and still foaming.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once again, I'm using a glass brewing thermometer for reading the temp of the beer poured. The Ranco for air temp inside of the freezer.
I have been using the second glass poured for temp. But thanks

I was told I need no more then 5-6psi to pour from two different Local HBS. Also I was told that I should never need more them 5' of 3/16 ID Line from the one HBS. He said my beer must be over carbed or the temp is too high. But neither seem to be the problem.

I don't think that type of thermometer is going to be that accurate in the area of beer serving temperature. I think this is why you are sseeing the temperatures you are vs. the setting of your temperature controller. The reason the beer temperature is important is it directly influences how the beer absorbs co2.

Also 5-6 psi is only going to be enough to push the beer, not maintain carbonation. In contrast, I serve my ales about 42 and at 15 psi with no foaming problems. IMHO, we work on all the other aspects of brewing to make our beer the best we can, we should also make sure it is served properly including proper cabonation. Additionally low pressure will cause the co2 to come out of solution in the line when the kegerator is not being used. This co2 coming out of solution will cause foam. However I agree with the 5 feet of 3/16, but more isn't goint to harm anything.

I used to not be a fan of force carbing as it can lead to the over carbing issues you experienced. What I have been doing lately that has worked well is:
  • Chill the beer for a couple of days
  • Apply 30 psi to the keg
  • Shake the keg while counting to 100
  • Return the keg to cold storage
  • Tap at serving pressure a day or two before serving

Nice pic BTW.

Are you SURE your regulator is CORRECT? New doesnt mean not faulty.

ARE YOU opening the tap ALL the way? When it pours does there apprear to be any obstruction to the smooth flow of the beer?

Dunno, there isnt a lot that goes into a good pour. Just correct pressure, correct ammount of line and temp... that is all really.

Glad to hear you found the problem- it definitely did sound overcarbed that's why I kept going back to that.

I'd keep the longer lines (the LHBS guy who told you you never need longer than 5' is a doofus) and see how you do.

Here's the one I have and I love it.

Dual_Guage_Regulator_A.jpg

Now that the problem is solved, don't set your regulator at some low (5to6psi) psi like your lbhs suggested. That will cause your co2 to break out in the lines and you will be pouring foam again. You can cut your lines, but I would wait until your comfortable with carbing and fine tuning your keezer and it's temps. My lines are 5 and 6 feet. You start by cutting 1 ft at a time until you are happy with the speed of the pour. I imagine it's pouring slowly with a long line. I keep my kegs set at 12psi most of the time.:mug:

1 other thing. Fold a paper towel a few times and tape the Ranco sensor to the side of a keg down low with the towel covering the sensor. This will cause it to read the temp of what is in the keg and your freezer will cycle less often.

Linc

Latest posts

Back