Ranco ETC not sending power

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pequod

Reaction score
I have a single stage Ranco ETC... was working correctly, but has stopped switching on my chest freezer.

The probe is sensing temp correctly, and the memory is functioning. Anyone know how to fix this?

if it was working and now is not im thinking a wire came lose or your freezer crapped out. Can you test the controller on a lamp or something like that?

Did you put strain relief on the wires exiting the controller?

I have a single stage Ranco ETC... was working correctly, but has stopped switching on my chest freezer.

The probe is sensing temp correctly, and the memory is functioning. Anyone know how to fix this?

Do you hear the relay "click" when the unit calls for cold?

Cheers!

Check to see if the controller is set on the "cooling" function, not the "heating" function.

I hate to be that guy to say it, but it looks like you might have to replace. There may be a broken wire somewhere, but I wouldn't have the slightest how to go about finding it.

open it up and re check the wiring to make sure everything is conducting what it needs to. also check the board and the solder joints to make sure they are clean and solid. are you getting a error message? E1, E2, EP, EE, CL?

rechecked the wiring... no error code. perplexed by how it could be "broken" with the memory intact and probe sensing correctly. If it's just not "clicking", isn't that just a relay or something?

rechecked the wiring... no error code. perplexed by how it could be "broken" with the memory intact and probe sensing correctly. If it's just not "clicking", isn't that just a relay or something?

It could be the relay, or it could be the circuitry that activates the relay.
If you have a DVM you could determine if voltage is being applied to the coil when the mode calls for it...

Cheers!

Back