Rahr pilsen malt vs. MFB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a sack of Franco-Belges pilsen malt a couple of years ago and really liked it. I'm just about out of it. One of the local liquor stores sells a little bit of brewing supplies and they have a sack of Rahr pilsen malt for $42, then I get 10% off which puts the price around $38. A sack of the MFB malt is $80 now and I'd have to order it from Northern Brewer or More Beer. (I'm sure I didn't pay nearly that much for the first sack)

I know they're not the same thing, but how different are they really? If I brew a Belgian beer with the Rahr malt will something horrible happen, like all my babies be born naked? :) What about brewing a German beer with either of them?

Well, yeah, the naked baby thing is probably gonna happen, but that's not Rahr's doing ;)

fwiw, I've used various Rahr malts, including their "premium pilsner" and their "standard two row". I'll be honest, they were supply-driven decisions as I knew nothing about Rahr and my favorites [edit/fwiw: GP and Weyermann] weren't available - but I've always been satisfied with the results, and their prices are usually very competitive...

Cheers!

I guess it depends on how refined your tastebuds are. Try a sack of Rahr, see how you like it across a few brews. If it doesn't impress, you'll know to plunk down $80 and go back to the malt you really enjoy.

It looks like you're in Rochester, MN. If you're ever in Minneapolis, you can get a sack at Midwest. Their website shows $59.99/sack.

It looks like you're in Rochester, MN. If you're ever in Minneapolis, you can get a sack at Midwest. Their website shows $59.99/sack.

Thanks! I didn't look there; I assumed they had the same price as NB.

MaxStout said:
I guess it depends on how refined your tastebuds are. Try a sack of Rahr, see how you like it across a few brews. If it doesn't impress, you'll know to plunk down $80 and go back to the malt you really enjoy.
That's what I'm planning to do, just wondering what to expect :)

Back