Rahr North Star Pils - Any experiences out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodolarchie

Reaction score
I won a bag of this new pilsner malt from Rahr in a competition last weekend. It looks like a more affordable alternative to their Premium Pilsner, less modified (DP 120-150), lighter in color (1.5-2.0 L). I found this webinar:

MIdway through, they mention that it's closer to a continental European pils. "Honey, nutty, sweet bread character." The nuttiness is interesting, perhaps more of a vienna note here.

1622318075460.png

I'll admit, I'm a malt snob when it comes to lagers. I have tried a few american pilsner malts (including some craft ones in my neck of the PNW, gambrinus, admiral) and I always go back to Weyermann or Bestmalz. But I am thinking of using this in some of my aged mixed ferm saison/farmhouse recipes, as very little of the malt character survives. But... given the aroma profile I'd be curious how it compares to a Weyermann pils in a true pilsner style, which I always think of as honey-forward, with some sweet bread and slightly grassy notes. The big suppliers are running short of Weyermann right now, which is why I ended up with this bag.

Anybody out there used this yet in homebrew? How would you compare it to a true continental european pilsner malt?

Can't give you a great comparison, but I've used it twice now as my base in a couple of IPAs. At the time I made a series of beers using northstar, premium pils, and Avangards German pils just to compare and see which I liked more; which Northstar ended up being my preference. I didnt take a lot of notes but I do recall getting more of a light sweetness and thinking that it lent a little more body to the beers I'd made. Did not get any of the hay notes, and don't recall a big nutty flavor really either; but, definitely less of cracker taste than the prem pils. Been wanting to try in a lighter beer just to see what comes through, but havent gotten around to it yet. Would love to know how your experience with it goes as I've already got a few other batches going at the moment 😅
Cheers!

Well I used 15lbs of it myself today in a Biere de Garde, actually a modest portion of the malt bill at 37%. I highly doubt I or anyone would be able to tell the difference with the 5 other malts in this beer. Tasting the malt itself vs bestmalz heidelberg, it's a bit sweeter and bready almost like a pale 2row.

I just won a sack of the Rahr North Star Pils malt yesterday. I know the brewery that donated is a Belgian style / European lager brewer in town and they are consistently very good. Hoping for the best

Back