Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing this right now. Looks and smells awesome! Here is a pic of my first runnings going into the BK. Love the color!!!

IMG_0613.JPG

Well the brew went pretty smooth.....until I realized I forgot to add the damn honey at flame out:mad:

I just realized it and decided to add it anyway, despite already pitching the yeast. Nothing more than lack of attention to detail....a big pet-peeve of mine!! will see what happens......

Question: do you think by not adding the honey at flame out would account for a lower OG than what I wanted (wanted 1.059...got 1.054)? I know it's not too far off, but I'm just curious. Also, do you think it will impart more of a honey flavor since it was added to chilled wort instead of smoke'n hot wort?? Thanks...

Well the brew went pretty smooth.....until I realized I forgot to add the damn honey at flame out:mad:

I just realized it and decided to add it anyway, despite already pitching the yeast. Nothing more than lack of attention to detail....a big pet-peeve of mine!! will see what happens......

Question: do you think by not adding the honey at flame out would account for a lower OG than what I wanted (wanted 1.059...got 1.054)? I know it's not too far off, but I'm just curious. Also, do you think it will impart more of a honey flavor since it was added to chilled wort instead of smoke'n hot wort?? Thanks...

yeah, not having the honey in there when you took the gravity reading is why it was a little low. As far as adding it to chilled wort... they yeast don't care and they'll eat it just the same. No different overall than adding at flame out

yeah, not having the honey in there when you took the gravity reading is why it was a little low. As far as adding it to chilled wort... they yeast don't care and they'll eat it just the same. No different overall than adding at flame out

That's what I was figuring. Do you think it will add more of a honey flavor since the wort was chilled vs hot?

I believe, what mystic is saying is that it won't add more honey flavor because the yeast are still gonna eat all the fermentables and thus the honey flavor

I believe, what mystic is saying is that it won't add more honey flavor because the yeast are still gonna eat all the fermentables and thus the honey flavor

That makes sense. I wasn't sure if chilled wort would preserve the honey flavor more so than hot wort. Just a thought....not that it would matter either way. Thanks for the help!

exactly.. 1lb of honey is a VERY small amount. with the other grains and the hops and possible honey flavor is overpowered. it's really only there to boost the ABV :)

Just had my last bottle of this 7.5 months after brewing (I set it aside to see how it "aged" ). It was delicious.

The last one is always the best haha. I have no idea how you managed to stay out of it for 7 months I had a big problem letting it sit 7 WEEKS

I have no idea how you managed to stay out of it for 7 months I had a big problem letting it sit 7 WEEKS

I was thinking the same thing...lol

I can tell the honey is a hit with the yeasties.....blowing up like a CHAMP!! Thank God I put blow-off tubes on all my beers......:rockin:

Thanks Mysticmead! Brewed this up and served at a Sunday luncheon yesterday. Two guys said its the best beer they've ever had, they had 6 pints each, haha. Aroma, color, and flavor are outstanding! I'll definitely keep this in the lineup. Thanks again.

Just picked up 3 cornies for my upcoming keezer build and I enjoyed this beer so much that I've decided it's going to be the first beer through the taps, have to get it brewed this weekend though to accomplish that goal

Brewed this this weekend minus the honey and came in at 1.050. Looked good going in the bucket. Can't wait to drink some

Just went through my cache of hops and I only have a half ounce of crystal and no cascade, guess it's time to restock

Brewed a spinoff today. Used 4 lb marris otter and 4 lb 2 row for the base. Kept other grains the same. Used Target hops for bittering and fuggle for aroma. Also using wyeast 1084 (Irish Ale) in place of WLP001.

Had a minor set back when my propane tank ran out and my spare tank leaked as soon as I hooked it up. Had to run to the store and get a new tank which took 20 minutes. Flame went out 10 minutes into the boil and when I got back from the store the temp was still over 200 so I just brought it back to a boil and boiled for another 30 minutes. Hopefully it won't mess anything up but I did over shoot my volume thanks to not enough boil off. Oh well, color is spot on so hopefully the taste works out.

Took a gravity sample of this one today after 2 weeks in primary (didnt use honey in the recipe).

The color was more brownish then red and the taste was very bitter and very malty.

Im not satisfied with this recipe so far but mabye its too early to judge.

Do you think in another week in primary, 1 week cold crash and then bottle conditioning will do good for my beer?
Fermentation has finished already.
(gravities was 1.048 and 1.010)

Hey fellas,
What are the best yeast alternatives to California Ale?
I have access to most wyeast at my LBS. I also have the usual Danstar and Safale in dry.
thanks

How long are you guys leaving this in primary before kegging? Mine has been in primary for 14 days and i decided to start cold crashing today. Was at expected final gravity after 7 days so its done and i didnt detect any off flavors.

How long are you guys leaving this in primary before kegging? Mine has been in primary for 14 days and i decided to start cold crashing today. Was at expected final gravity after 7 days so its done and i didnt detect any off flavors.

I left mine in the primary for 7 days then threw it in a secondary for 4 more days just to clear it up a little more. Then I bottled it. My philosophy is once it hits its projected FG then I take it out of the primary and either keg/bottle or use a secondary if I'm dry-hopping or needing it to clear a little more.

I left mine in the primary for 7 days then threw it in a secondary for 4 more days just to clear it up a little more. Then I bottled it. My philosophy is once it hits its projected FG then I take it out of the primary and either keg/bottle or use a secondary if I'm dry-hopping or needing it to clear a little more.

Awesome! I'm just kind of in a hurry with this one because I just got all the parts to my draft beer system and feel like a kid wanting to play with his new toys!! Lol

Awesome! I'm just kind of in a hurry with this one because I just got all the parts to my draft beer system and feel like a kid wanting to play with his new toys!! Lol

100% understand!! Lol....that's the way I feel about every brew...just remember, your last beer out of that keg will taste the best! The longer she sits, the better she gets! Enjoy!!

This is exactly the same place in at right now

LOL... I can dig it! I recently started kegging about 6 months ago and had the same excitement. So much so, I brewed almost every weekend for about 5 or 6 weeks in order to build up my supply to fill a new keezer build.

But personally, I would not go any less than 14 days in primary/secondary, then an additional 3 or 4 days cold crashing. This recipe would definitely benefit from the few additional days. And it is a good recipe. But I understand the excitement...

BTW, Congrats on the draft system! You're almost there!! ;)

:mug:

A few weeks ago I posted my experience with [lack of] clarity with my batch. I did mix up some gelatin and split it proportionally into my two kegs. The first keg was already half empty. Ironically, it didn't clear right away but a week and change later it was looking pretty good. When that keg was done I tapped the second one expecting the same ending clarity, but despite pulling multiple glasses off it looked no better. Now approaching the end of this keg... And it's still cloudy, as if it never got gelatin or precipitated.

Oh well, not sure what happened. It's not chill haze as it doesn't clear while it warms in the glass. I will say however, that this beer got much better over these handful of weeks. It had a bit of medicinal strength at first, but now it's a lush malt bomb. My friend who doesn't like "dark beer" carried on like a baby how much he wanted more.

-BD

Anyone ever scale this down to 2.5 gallons? I wanna brew this again but have a full keg so I wanna do a smaller batch for bottling.

Planned on:
4# 2 row
4 oz carafoam
4 oz melanoidin
8 oz crystal 120
.5 crystal @ 60
.5 cascade @ 30
8 oz honey at flameout

Mash with 2 gallons or so and sparge to 3.5 gallons pre boil.

Attempted my first 2.5 gal. batch Sunday and I would say it was a success! It's chugging along nicely. I pitched us-05 and forgot the honey.

2.5 ir.jpg

Attempted my first 2.5 gal. batch Sunday and I would say it was a success! It's chugging along nicely. I pitched us-05 and forgot the honey.

looks good! if you forgot the honey, it's no bog deal. you have a couple options. leave it out... it was there to boost the ABV a little not for flavor... or add it to the carboy. The yeast will still eat it and boost the ABV a little..

So I made this two weeks ago. I just checked my gravity and it's 1.028? Weird. My OG was 1.058. It's fermented really hard in the beginning and died down quick. Current temp is around 68-70F.

I think I'm going to leave it in primary another week and then check - anyone else have a similar experience? Did I maybe do something wrong?

Back