Racking too soon ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinstan

Reaction score
My cider is about 6 days old now. The bubbles have slowed way down and it looks like fermentation could be finishing up. I used Pectic enzyme but there is still some haze in the cider. There is about 1 inch of sediment in the bottom. Is it too soon to rack into a clean carboy ? I was going to rack it off the lees into a clean 1 gallon with a fresh airlock, and give it another 2 or 3 days then put it into the fridge to start drinking.

Good or bad ? Is it too soon ?

Bump - trying to get some help on this. I am thinking about racking it tonight.

Anyone ? I am trying to get some help on this since I am thinking about racking it tonight.

kevinstan said:
Anyone ? I am trying to get some help on this since I am thinking about racking it tonight.

Sorry - I didn't mean to double post.

if you like the taste go for it. you could put it the fridge at any time and drink if you wanted to. a champagne yeast and low OG could be totally finished in a week

whats your hydro reading at? Could be ready, sometimes they ferment quick. Also, what kind of cider are you going for (sweet, dry, semi sweet...)

Not using a hydrometer this first round. Started with 365 organic whole foods apple juice, and added 1 cup of brown sugar, and half a pack of Nottingham ale yeast.

Ohh yea, and I am going for a semi-sweet finished cider. Not too dry but not overly sweet. Slightly carbonated is ok if it turns out that way.

Back