Racking before kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidude

Reaction score
I am getting back into brewing, and I have started using kegs instead of bottles.

Since racking to a secondary has gone mostly out of fashion, what is the procedure for going from primary to keg for conditioning? Do I rack it to a bucket first, or just go straight from the primary to a keg? If I do that, I assume the first beer out of the tap will have some yeast, but after that it should be fine, right?

i go from primary to keg. i find that the 1/2" from the bottom of the keg and dip-tube is enough to hold all the yeast that may come with the transfer. but its very minimal, and i usually don't even get any on the first pour. and if i do its only a half cup worth of beer, no big deal.

Greenbasterd said:
i go from primary to keg. i find that the 1/2" from the bottom of the keg and dip-tube is enough to hold all the yeast that may come with the transfer. but its very minimal, and i usually don't even get any on the first pour. and if i do its only a half cup worth of beer, no big deal.

That is the same way here. No problem with racking from primary to keg.

I started kegging in May and go from Primary to keg. Since I've started washing my yeast I've found it better if I move my bucket/carboy to my counter 6-8 hours before kegging that it settles pretty well and I get less sediment.
I still get a half pint of stuff on my first draw but it's not a problem.

Primary to keg. When the beer is ready, I pour the first few ounces out with the sediment. Clears pretty fast.

I go straight from primary to keg too. I like fermenting in bottling buckets best because no need for a siphon, just connect the hose to the valve and drain away. Sediment has never been an issue.

Back