Racked to Secondary - Pale ale turned Caramel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinggoo

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Did some searching around -- and couldn't find a similar experience with this..

I racked to my secondary for the first time yesterday and moved it to the basement. The brew was a darkish brown/copper color before I siphoned into the carboy, and after siphoning has turned caramelish in color.

Is this normal? I attempted to introduce as little oxidation as possible, but at first I figured it was due to the transfer mixing up the beer and it would eventually settle darker again. The next day it still appears to be the color of a caramel candy?

Not worried, just curious.

What were you siphoning from? The color of the beer will vary greatly depending on how much light can go through. So if you rack from a bucket to a carboy, the color will appear different in the carboy because there's more light going through, since it's glass.

When you pour it into a glass, it will appear even lighter, because there's not as much beer to absorb light.

Back