Racer 5 bottles???!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APendejo

Reaction score
I have a whole bunch of the 22's saved up. Tried to remove the labels from a couple and it was a complete no-go. Got the paper off but the glue they use is some nasty sticky stuff. Tried oxy-clean, soap, scalding hot water, alchohol, even oven cleaner with no luck. Green pad just turned the glue green. How do I properly delable these bottles?
AP

APendejo said:
I have a whole bunch of the 22's saved up. Tried to remove the labels from a couple and it was a complete no-go. Got the paper off but the glue they use is some nasty sticky stuff. Tried oxy-clean, soap, scalding hot water, alchohol, even oven cleaner with no luck. Green pad just turned the glue green. How do I properly delable these bottles?
AP

If you can't fix or do something, simply use one of the following

A. Duct Tape
B. WD-40

WD-40 probably isn't a bad idea. For that matter, any petroleum based solvent may help. Alcohol is not petroleum based and tends to be a pretty weak solvent, especially for anything that isn't water soluble.

I've used mineral spirits successfully to remove really sticky label glue. Wipe some on with a rag or cotton pad. A little is all it takes. More control than spraying WD-40.

APendejo said:
AP

I had a sixer of these this weekend.

First past I was ready to throw the bottles away. The labels came off but left this glue residue that was a huge pain in the a**. Ended up soaking them in the sink with super hot water along with a scoop of oxy-clean. After about 18 hours of soaking I was able to get the glue residue off without too much trouble.

Good luck.

I have never had to resort to this for removing labels, but there is a product called "Goo-Gone" that they sell pretty much everywhere and might take care of that glue residue. I might try that, especially if you don't like the idea of wd-40 or mineral spirits near your bottles. Might be nastier stuff, fiik, but doesn't small so bad.

Try a hot water + ammonia soak. After a few hours the ammonia breaks the glue down into a hazey film that can be wiped with the hand.

Best to set this up for an overnite deal as the ammonia can be annoying.

bear republic labels are the absolute worst i've ever encountered. i've soaked them for upwards of a week in an ammonia solution and had not an inkling of success. i've taken a razor blade to them and still failed. if their beer wasn't so delicious i would curse them.

I work at a used book store, and we have to take some awfully nasty stickers off some times.

Lighter fluid is inexpensive, and has been able to remove the glue of any label I've tried. Usually it's composed of Naphtha, which isn't entirely healthy.
You can also use Coleman's fuel (commonly called white gas) which is used for camp stoves. It burns clean and evaporates entirely, leaving no chemical residue or smell.

when I was in the air force we just used jet fuel to remove anything like that from the plane

go get some diesel fuel, its pretty much identical to jet fuel, it will work much better then gasoline or wd-40

you could also try brake clean, its one of those things every mechanic has, and never uses it for brakes, brake clean is some powerful stuff. They come in spray bottles just like wd-40. Definatly don't use it in the house though

I think I am gonna give those bottles to one of the guys at work who is a brewing n0ob. I will suggest that he just leave the lables on, but let him figure it out for himself.
I'm not gonna bring any petroleum solvents into the kitchen, just because. That and the OL freaks at the smell of gas & oil. I used to clean Harley parts in the sink, I promised I wouldn't anymore.
Thanks for the tips.
AP

Wow.. I do NOT know what you guys are talking about. I had a BR Racer 5 tonight.. rinsed the bottle and filled it back up. Submerged the bottle in a pot of cold water.. no soap.. just water.. 2 hours later, I pulled the label off.. complete and used one of the green scrubbie pads to remove the glue residue. A squeeky clean bottle.

Back