quitting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am quitting drinking entirely. I have no idea how I am going to handle this and I am seeking help from a therapist to do it.

I am almost more sad that I will have to give up homebrewing than I am about giving up alcohol. I probably would have found it easier to quit if I had not been homebrewing. What an amazing hobby.

Thank you to everyone for all of your outstanding posts, help and feedback. This is an awesome community and I will miss it very much.

I wish you all the luck and success in the world.

I do have to say I got into the world of homebrewing as an outgrowth of my love of cooking as a hobby. To get started, treat yourself to some cooking basics classes - for example, knife skills, and then basic kitchen techniques.

And the world of true barbecue (as in low and slow, with meat and smoke versus "grilling") has all the aspects of home brew that you'll love - gear, art, science, stuff to share with friends, many online communities, spectacular results, competition, etc.

There are a bunch of websites supporting the barbecue world. I'd start with this one: http://amazingribs.com/

Again, good luck. You've got this. And see you on the barbecue forums.

Good luck, bud! You can do this and start living the life you want to free from the monkey on your back. I quit smoking almost 5 years ago and when I was smoking the thought of not needing a smoke ever again was such a relief! It was hard to stop but looking back I can't believe that was me smoking all those cigs! I'm sure you'll look back at your drinking days and wonder if that was really you or not and it will feel amazing to not be that handcuffed to something.

It's hard to keep the drinking in check at times but you have to do what you have to do. If that means quitting totally forever then so be it. There's so much more to life than drinking/brewing as you can see from all the other suggestions for hobbies. There's almost too many hobbies to choose from. You'll be fine and pick up another hobby to obsess over. I know it!

Best of luck, brother. Thank you for being part of the HBT community!

Thanks so much everyone, your support has been TREMENDOUS and has really helped me get through a rough time last week. Really. I have asked to be permanently removed from HBT so that I can focus on moving ahead. Special thanks to @Morrey for helping me out. I'll miss you all.

All the best, and happy brewing!

Thanks so much everyone, your support has been TREMENDOUS and has really helped me get through a rough time last week. Really. I have asked to be permanently removed from HBT so that I can focus on moving ahead. Special thanks to @Morrey for helping me out. I'll miss you all.

All the best, and happy brewing!

Dave removed his HBT profile after our visit today. I met him to purchase the majority of his brewing equipment. He wanted to divest of everything beer related to rip the band aid off quickly as he put it.

What a heck of a guy! A beautiful home and family that is straight out of Southern Living magazine. Successful, intelligent and a dedicated business owner....a genuinely nice guy. And a meticulous brewer if there ever way one. Perfectionist in every way.

Dave will never see this post but you all will. He often PM'd me with ideas he shared or answered questions I asked. He liked cool stuff and designed his own glycol system that was amazing. I will miss hell of Dave being here. But let me say he is one incredible individual who had the strength to walk away when the time came. Godspeed Dave.

Dave removed his HBT profile after our visit today. I met him to purchase the majority of his brewing equipment. He wanted to divest of everything beer related to rip the band aid off quickly as he put it.

What a heck of a guy! A beautiful home and family that is straight out of Southern Living magazine. Successful, intelligent and a dedicated business owner....a genuinely nice guy. And a meticulous brewer if there ever way one. Perfectionist in every way.

Dave will never see this post but you all will. He often PM'd me with ideas he shared or answered questions I asked. He liked cool stuff and designed his own glycol system that was amazing. I will miss hell of Dave being here. But let me say he is one incredible individual who had the strength to walk away when the time came. Godspeed Dave.

Awesome to hear. If you keep in touch let him know were all behind him.

Too bad I missed this before he left, but I'm glad he is doing what he knows is best for him and his family. If he were here to read it, I'd say, "Don't be scared of what you are doing. Be glad. Rejoice in your freedom!"

There are LOTS of other hobbies, and many of the previous posters gave him some very good suggestions. Best of all, he can start work on repairing/improving his relationships. Then there is whole wide world of interesting things to read about and get involved in.

Back