Quince in Apple Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Run

Reaction score
All,

Does anyone have any experience using quince in an apple cider fermentation? Thinking 10% by weight max.

I think it would be a fine flavor to capture in cider and may be a nice alternative tannin source.

Some ideas which have come up include:

1. A traditional quince preparation via boiling and straining the quince juice to then add to the primary.
2. Adding raw quince pulp to the fermentation vessel during primary fermentation. This is what Bonny Doon did with their pear, apple quince sparkling cider called Querry.
3. Grind and press with the apples (perhaps with a pectinase treatment the night before)

Thanks in advance! -- Chris

For some reason I keep wanting to plant a quince tree just to see what they taste like. Wouldnt boiling set the pectins? Do they press just like apples? Are you guessing on the 10%, we like more tart ciders and use more than 10% crabs, are quinces more tanninc than crabs? WVMJ

For some reason I keep wanting to plant a quince tree just to see what they taste like. Wouldnt boiling set the pectins? Do they press just like apples? Are you guessing on the 10%, we like more tart ciders and use more than 10% crabs, are quinces more tanninc than crabs? WVMJ

I would recommend planting one. It is a delightfully fragrant fruit in the pome family that looks like an odd pear. I keep a bowl in the kitchen and they emit their fragrance for months and has become a scent of Fall for me. The flesh is dry, dense (due to the pectin content) and is highly acidic and tannic. The numbers I can find are 0.7 - 1.2% of organic acids, 0.6% of tannins, right on par with crabs.

I am thinking to crush the quince and soak in apple juice for a time then filter and add to the primary. Or I may try a batch crushed with the apples and add some crushed fruit to the primary (though this makes me nervous). I want to experiment, but also not foul the batches. But it is the aroma I would like to capture in a cider, any thoughts?

Indeed boiling would set pectin, so based on feedback I will not boil.

Yes I am thinking 10% as I would crabs, with 40% Newtown pippin and golden or red delicious / empire for the remaining blend though this may change after some tasting. The last crab batch I did was 10% and 15% with bellflower, it was quite good and aged well. But then again the bellflower is quite acidic so a 10% and 20% batch may be in line this go round.

Thanks for an interesting discussion and happy cider making! -- Chris

I just got 4 boxes of quince from a friend with a tree who didn't want them this year (was still eating jelly from two years ago) and I took them to my local cider press today and pressed them with apples at roughly a 1:1 ratio of quince to apples. The fresh juice was great, in some ways better than straight apple cider because of the added tannin finish. I'm just wondering if anyone has thoughts on the best yeast to use. I can't seem to find Lallemand D47 anywhere in town, so my choices are between 1118 and 1116. Thoughts?

I just got 4 boxes of quince from a friend with a tree who didn't want them this year (was still eating jelly from two years ago) and I took them to my local cider press today and pressed them with apples at roughly a 1:1 ratio of quince to apples. The fresh juice was great, in some ways better than straight apple cider because of the added tannin finish. I'm just wondering if anyone has thoughts on the best yeast to use. I can't seem to find Lallemand D47 anywhere in town, so my choices are between 1118 and 1116. Thoughts?

Sorry for the delay, which yeast did you go with? I also noticed the nice tannic character in the raw juice from the juice and I think the added acidity will be a plus. May innoulate one batch with a ML culture. What were the apples you used? The D47 is going well here and seemingly has a fine aroma. Will know more by Fall! Good luck! --Chris

I read someone on cider workshop say recently that the fuzz and the seeds hold the unpleasant flavours, so it is best to remove the fuzz before juicing.

Sorry for the delay, which yeast did you go with? What were the apples you used? -Chris

I used three apples - golden russet, spy, and (I think) granny smiths (they were green).
So I wasn't able to find the 1116 yeast out so I am trying it with 1122 which is apparently more of a red wine yeast but we'll see how it goes. I'm considering adding a few pounds of honey after fermentation has begun. My thought was if this juice is higher in tannins then it might benefit from being higher in alcohol, but really I can't say I know much about this.

I use a steam juicer to get the juice from the quince, about 2.2kg quince makes a litre of juice in 1-1/2 to 2 hours.

I add this litre of quince juice to 3-1/2 litres of apple juice to make up to one gallon, plus the usual 130g of sugar and yeast.

Quince cider stays cloudy but tastes delicious.

In past years I've juiced plums the same way and added it to apple juice to make plum cider. Plum cider is also very nice.

Back