Quick sugar question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cory11

Reaction score
I plan on making some apfelwein this weekend and don't have any corn sugar. Is there an acceptable substitute? I don't live near a homebrew store, so that's not really an option. I'm sure it's been answered here before, but I couldn't find it.
Cheers!

I plan on making some apfelwein this weekend and don't have any corn sugar. Is there an acceptable substitute? I don't live near a homebrew store, so that's not really an option. I'm sure it's been answered here before, but I couldn't find it.
Cheers!

white sugar heated in a bit of apple juice/cider to convert disaccharides to monosaccharides should do the trick

I used fructose because I got it cheap from the hippy store. You could also use honey and make a cyser-ish apfelwein.

I think 4lbs should be enough depending on how strong you want it to be. I would add it and then take a gravity reading to see where you are. You can always add more honey to the next batch or to your secondary on this one if you want higher alcohol.

Update: I used 4 pounds of honey with the 5 gallons of apple juice. It's been in the fermenter since April 18th. OG was 1.070 and today when I racked it, it was at 1,012. So that puts it at about 7.6abv. Very clear. Still going to let it sit for a few months, but right now it has a vinegary apple juice taste. Hoping this tones down a lot over the next couple months. We'll see!!

Back